Actor/comedian/producer/director/writer Marlon Wayans has a new movie heading our way on April 16. It’s Haunted House 2 and he’ already guaranteeing that it will be another hit for the Wayans Family Franchise. He says his mother is the gauge of the family’s movie success.
“I knew this first one was going to be successful because we have this thing – when my mom comes to movies, and she walks out – like she walked out of Scary Movie in the middle of it. She was like, You boys just lost your mind. It went on to be our biggest hit. So now, when my mom leaves the movie early we know it’s going to be a hit. She didn’t even come to this one. Groundhog has spoken!”
Mrs. Wayans certainly knew what she was doing raising a crew of talented children. She’s got to be sitting somewhere pretty these days, whether this particular movie is ultimately successful or not. But Wayans says he believes the formula for this film is a winning one.
“We’re doing The Conjuring, we’ve got that little spooky dog from The Conjuring. We have The Possession, we have Sinister, we have Amityville Horror and The Devil Inside. But what’s great about it is, we have an original story. It’s more of a horror comedy with parody moments. It’s not like all parody. I produced it, I wrote it and I star in it. So basically the white man can’t get rid of me! You can’t write me out. They blew me up in GI Joe! Shot my black behind. I made sure I did everything on this one.”
Everything the Wayans family touches seems to turn to gold (though the next generation of Wayans isn’t faring so well with Single Ladies and Next Generation Wayans shows). Even when things go wrong, though, they still come out with a win. That’s what happened with Scary Movie, a franchise the Wayans brothers started that they ended up losing.
“We basically did a movie Scary Move and made billions of dollars worldwide. We made it for $19 million. It made $167 million here and $167 overseas. And that’s just box office. So we got a raise on the second one and they wanted to do a third one. And we were like Well, if you want to do a third one, you’re going to have to open the wallet and pull out a Black card. I understand the platinum card, that was fun. But we’re looking for Black card status.
So they were like ‘We’re going to give you gold.’ They tried to take it back to the Discovery card. Me and my brothers were like ‘Yo forget it’ so we pitched that and White Chicks, the movies we had. And basically they went and stole for the idea we pitched and did Part 3 and we were like ‘Take that. We’re gonna do White Chicks. God rest that franchise. That last one – I could have filmed me taking a poop and it would have been more entertaining.”
Celebs Caught Creepin'
1. Amber Rose & Wiz KhalifaSource:PR Photos 1 of 32
2. Chris Brown & KarruecheSource:Instagram 2 of 32
3. Future & CiaraSource:Instagram 3 of 32
4. D-Wade & Gabrielle Union4 of 32
5. Ludacris & Eudoxie5 of 32
6. Tina Campbell & Teddy6 of 32
7. Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom7 of 32
8. Tina & Mathew Knowles8 of 32
9. Joe Budden & Tahiry9 of 32
10. Arnold Schwarzenegger & Maria Shriver10 of 32
11. Tiki Barber & Traci Lynn Johnson11 of 32
12. Jesse James & Sandra Bullock12 of 32
13. Eddie Cibrian & LeAnn Rimes13 of 32
14. Paula Patton & Robin Thicke14 of 32
15. The Dream15 of 32
16. Tiger Woods & Elin16 of 32
17. Josh & Fergie17 of 32
18. Tameka & Usher18 of 32
19. Chili19 of 32
20. Ashton & Demi20 of 32
21. Eric Benet & Halle Berry21 of 32
22. Kim Porter22 of 32
23. J Lo & Cris Judd23 of 32
24. Dayanara Torres, Marc Anthony & J Lo24 of 32
25. Tony Parker & Eva Longoria25 of 32
26. Kobe & Vanessa Bryant26 of 32
27. Shar Jackson27 of 32
28. Gracelle Beauvais28 of 32
29. Ev & Ocho29 of 32
30. Brad, Angie & Jen30 of 32
31. Fantasia & Antwaun31 of 32
32. Swizz Beatz & Alicia Keys32 of 32
(Photo: PR Photos)