An African American worker at a Hooters in Baltimore said she was fired from her job because she put blonde highlights in her hair.
Farryn Johnson told Baltimore’s CBS News affiliate that she was let go from her job as a waitress at Hooters due to ‘”improper image” after the 25-year-old refused to remove blonde highlights from her dark brown hair.
“They specifically said, ‘Black women don’t have blonde in their hair, so you need to take it out,’” Johnson told CBS.
“I didn’t see that it would be a big issue just because there were a lot of other employees working at the restaurant of other races with color in their hair. For instance, there were Asian girls with red hair and Caucasian girls with black hair and blond streaks so I didn’t think it would be an issue for the little piece of blond highlight in my hair.”
Johnson has reportedly filed a racial discrimination complaint with the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights.
“The law is clear that employers can’t have two separate unequal sets of rules—one for African-Americans employees and one for everybody else, and yet that’s exactly what Hooters did here in firing Miss Johnson, an African-American employee solely because she’s African-American. They targeted her because of her hair solely because of her race,” Johnson’s attorney, Jessica Weber, told CBS.
Hooters has declined to comment, citing pending litigation.
Stars Who Are Famous For Their Blonde Locks
18 photos Launch gallery
1. Chrisette Michele
1 of 18
2. Tamar Braxton
2 of 18
3. Kim Fields
3 of 18
4. Nene Leakes
4 of 18
5. Comedian Luenell has always rocked the platinum blonde...and she has always worked it!
5 of 18
6. Mary J. Blige does blonde so well it's hard to imagine her with any other color.
6 of 18
7. Rihanna changes hair color and styles constantly but blonde is one of our favorite looks. (AP)
7 of 18
8. Beyonce would be beautiful in any color hair but this soft color suits her. (AP)
8 of 18
9. Eva Marcille had a short blonde style at the premiere of 'Jumping the Broom' (PR Photos)
9 of 18
10. Eve Jeffers had long blonde tresses back in 2007. (PR Photos)
10 of 18
11. Keyshia Cole was sporting long blonde locks at the BET Awards in 2010 and again in 2012. (PR Photos)
11 of 18
12. Ciara always rocks blonde. (AP)
12 of 18
13. Keri Hilson has seemed to favor blonde over the past few years and does it well. (PR Photos)
13 of 18
14. Leona Lewis changes her hair color frequently but seems to favor this light hue over the darker shades. (AP)
14 of 18
15. There doesn't seem to be a hair color that Nicki Minaj hasn't tried, although she dons blonde frequently. (AP)
15 of 18
16. Amber Rose was 19 when she got her first buzz cut and bleach job and no one rocks it better than her. (AP)
16 of 18
17. Dennis Rodman has sported every hair color imaginable but his feminine side seems to prefer blonde shades.
17 of 18
18. Chris Brown went blonde for a minute back in 2011 and again in late 2012. (AP)
18 of 18