Officer Betty Shelby has claimed, via a lawyer, that she felt “threatened” by Terence Crutcher before she shot and killed him, according to Tulsa World.

The 40-year-old African-American man was unarmed when Shelby fatally shot him Friday evening. Crutcher’s family says he was waiting for help on the road after his SUV broke down.

The officer’s attorney says she was afraid Crutcher was reaching for a weapon when she opened fire.

Tulsa Police spokesperson Jeanne Mackenzie initially told KOTV:

“They asked him to show his hands. He refused to follow commands given by the officers. They continued to talk to him. He continued not to listen, not follow any commands. As they got closer to the vehicle, he reached inside the vehicle and at that time there was a Taser deployment and then a short time later there was one shot fired.”

However, multiple dashcam cameras and helicopter footage proves that his hands were raised throughout the encounter, contrary to what was stated by the spokeswoman.

A Tulsa police official is also claiming that officers found the drug PCP in the vehicle used by  Crutcher when the police shot and killed him, reports Tulsa World.

Tulsa homicide Sgt. Dave Walker declined to say where in the car investigators found the vial of PCP, nor whether Crutcher had used the drug that night before being shot.

Federal, state and local authorities are investigating the shooting.

This all started with a 911 call about a car stalled in the middle of the road and a man running away from it.

Via CNN:

Two 911 calls brought officers to the scene around 7:30 p.m. Friday.

The first came from a woman who said an abandoned vehicle was blocking the street and a man was running away, warning that it was going to blow up.

“Somebody left their vehicle running in the middle of the street with their doors wide open,” the caller said. “The doors are open, the vehicle is still running. It’s an SUV. It’s in the middle of the street, it’s blocking traffic.”

Officer Betty Shelby, who is white, was the first to arrive. Crutcher was on the side of the road, away from his vehicle. He then approached the officer, police said.

Shelby soon told dispatchers that Crutcher wasn’t cooperating, according to Tulsa’s police chief, who declined to provide further details.

Jeanne MacKenzie, Tulsa Police public information officer, said that the responding officers on the ground thought Crutcher had reached his hands into the driver’s side window of the vehicle.

Moments later, as Crutcher stands beside his car, the video shows him fall to the ground

“I think he may have just been Tasered,” an officer says over the radio.

“Shots fired!” a female officer says.

In the video, Crutcher lies in the middle of the street, motionless, soon to be dead.

29 thoughts on “Tulsa Officer Says She Felt ‘Threatened’ By Terence Crutcher, Police Say PCP Found In Car

1. specialt757 on said:

This man was killed because he was big and black, no other reason. Betty KKklan is a racist klan offspring who couldn’t wait to get her chance to kill a black man. She got the call from her sister/brotherhood to say “well done my white privileged princess, you have been promoted”.

2. Her husband cop in the helicopter coached her to shoot saying “the guy looks bad”. These are the thinking of true Trump supporters. Black lives don’t matter.

3. This will get worst und Trump . He says he will be thez’ Law and order Presidenzt. and will enforces racial profiling like Sop and Frisk.

4. Daniel Asamota on said:

I feel threatened by her. Will some hardcore brutha out there find her and kill her? I’m feeling very threatened by this murderous bitch!!!

• Arthur Childress on said:

Unfortunately Daniel, this lying, murdering skank is just the tip of the iceberg. This demonic bitch and racist dogs like her have been infiltrating police agencies in record numbers since 2002 and spiked again in 2008 when President Obama was elected. So yeah, we should be the ones feeling the threat.

5. STOPTHEKILLINGS on said:

ONE OF OUR AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE PTS. WAS STOPPED ON HIS WAY IN FOR HIS APPT. FOR SPEEDING. HE STATED HE WAS SO AFRAID THAT HE WAS SHAKING BECAUSE HE DID NOT KNO WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPENED. HE IS A 6 FT 7 250 PLUS SIZED MAN, NOT ABLE TO MOVE QUICKLY AND ALL OF THIS COULD HAVE ATTRIBUTED TO HIM BEING ROUGHED UP, SHOT AN KILLED, JUST BECAUSE THE OFFICER COULD HAVE BE “BEEN AFRAID FOR HIS/HER LIFE/ HE IS A BIG BAD LOOKING DUDE/HE DIDN’T COMPLY WITH WHAT I SAID/ HE DIDN’T MOVE FAST ENOUGH….DAMN. AND HE IS A VET.

6. STOPTHEKILLINGS on said:

HIT HERE WHERE IT HURTS IN THE POCKTBOOK. THEN SHE WILL SEE WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE AFRAID….AFRAID TO NOT HAVE SOME WHERE TO SLEEP, T EAT, TO DRINK, TO WORK, TO JUST BE AFRAID…..

7. Theresavg54 on said:

Clearly someone behind the scenes want a race war. They want something to jump off to find and excuse to do something bigger. who knows what their plans are. Only God can help us now.

8. I am wondering how comme nowthere are more black chief of police (spokenmen) then more shootings onminorities, and do those chief themselves happen to understand the real factsof the momentum? Versaint

9. Mr. Crutcher’s hands were raised. The windows of his vehicle were closed, meaning he could not possibly have been reaching into the vehicle. He was tasered, laying on the ground without a weapon. What about that scenario would make someone fear for their lives? This renegade coward is lying. She needs to be charged and tried for capital murder. Then, she should be sued for everything she owns, including the cat, so that her dimwitted husband will have to work until the day he dies just to be able to eat.

Rest easy Big Man, rest easy. We love you.
    kates1221

10. Ms Curly on said:

I believe that they could have tackled Mr Crutcher to the ground before he even got to the car if they wanted to. The cops seem to ALWAYS use deadly force when it comes time to determine how to handle a situation. I guess she was the only one who felt threatened. I know that being a cop is a tough job, but in my opinion some of them should have chosen a different profession. So now we are supposed to forget about slavery, that is very easy for the slave owner to say!!

• mrknowitall on said:

Slavery? When you say slavery do you know your history? Black Muslims are historically the first slave masters of African people. Black & brown Muslims are historically the enemy of free black people. I can go on again, but you must do your own homework on black muslims and slavery.

• Ms Curly on said:

I am speaking of the slavery that happened right here in the US, that is what is most important to me. The police that kill innocent unarmed black men in this country to date with no consequence, that is what is important to me. I noticed how the 3 or 4 cops all stood close to block the camera view of the actual shooting, I guess that was just a coincidence. That is why no one trust the cops they have been doing this for so long it is the norm and that Mr Knownothing is the problem. I am now dropping the mic!!

• Mr. Knowitall, do not use that “flawed logic” of “slavery” to deflect what the “white majority” in the United States has done to the “African American”…If those so called “Black/Brown Muslim Slave Masters” where in America, would they be treated as “equals” as the “white slave masters”…What about “Jim Crow, Segregation, etc.,”, were those meant for the “inclusiveness and equal treatment” of the “African American”?….You know “nothing”.

11. mrknowitall on said:

Friday night a black assassin shot at a black female cop as she sat in her squad car in Philadelphia, Pa. She was hit either 6 or 8 times, but the assassin shot at her 18 times Yesterday she walked out of the hospital and will recover. Why doesn’t this black web sight at least mention this incident? Her name is Sylvia Young, and a second cop was shot in the leg. The assassin went on a rampage and shot into a bar and ran shooting. He killed a black woman as she sat in her car with another black man who was also shot. The calvery came, charged into the line of fire, and killed the black assassin. This is why police get the benefit of the doubt.

• For the life of me, I’m trying to figure out what’s your point. Whites have been assassinating blacks with impunity for hundreds of years. Why aren’t white web sites reporting that? Seems to me that your history of brutality, murder, savagery, rape, terrorism and violence makes you (white men) more violent than any other ethnicity or race. White cops should be more afraid of their own people than blacks.

• mrknowitall on said:

Most police shootings are against European Americans. My European American culture believes criminals get what they deserve. European Americans believe when another European American thug gets killed, it’s simply the cop taking out the trash and doing society a favor. Racist negros are the opposite. They want the thug treated with black privlege.
        Also, blacks keep looking back in time thinking things haven’t changed for the better. People travel in the direction they look. Stop hiding behind yesterday and live in the current times.

• R L Presley on said:

America needs to apologize for slavery and other people don’t need to give advice to black people on how they’re suppose to feel about slavery!

• Because he is dead meaning justice was served. The problem in these other cases is that no one will pay for killings. All we want is justice.

12. Once again another PIG uses the excuse that they felt “THREATENED” BY THE BIG BLACK MAN”–Maybe these POS/WUSSES need to find another line of work.

White PIGS who suddenly feel threatened whenever they see a Black face are simply RACIST!!!!!
    Why can’t they see us as HUMANS and interact with us as they do with all other races!!!!!!

Furthermore, if these POS PIGS feel so “threatened” by people of color-then they should be assigned to patrol LILY WHITE NEIGHBORHOODS where all is safe and well!!!–(NOT)!!!!!!

13. They claim that he reached into the car but the video shows blood on a closed window after he had been shot. He must have been a magician to stick his hands through that glass. I want to respect the police but it seems that they have declared “War” on Black people. We have no choice but to fight back.

14. I was once stopped just waiting at a read light. An officer just came out from a gas station, right at the red light, behind me. I had asked the officer, what crime did I commit while waiting at a red light. I then said, sir you had no right to stop me. His response, I have the right to stop anyone, if I want too. I stopped you because I check your tag and what not, and the car does not have any information that it is registered to you, “may I see your license and registration.” He checked my information, and I said i’m sorry sir, but you stopped me for what reason, and or check my information for what reason.” he did not answer, but gave me back my license and registration, and told me to check with DMV why the car is not listed in my name.

15. At least the officer we telling the truth some what. She felt threaten with a big black man ignoring her orders, even though there were other officers there to back her up. Now what will be interesting which has happen to many past officers caught up in the situation. Tons of money will come in for this officers legal bills, so I am saying now, follow the money coming in for her defense, and whom it is coming from.

• Concerned on said:

We the people are living in the 2000’s slavery, why hang us when the get paid to shoot us hands up or down. There is a serious problem in our society country in America..