Besides, the fighting in Gaza, it seems like people on the internet, on the radio and on television have been consumed with Stephen A. Smith and what he said on ESPN about domestic violence.
That statement and the word ‘provoked’ stirred up a hornet’s nest.
Social media went crazy.
Smith’s co-workers, many of them women, were outraged.
He tried to clear it up on twitter.
It didn’t work.
Then a few days later he went back on ESPN and apologized.
A few days later ESPN announced that Stephen A. was suspended for a week.
In Stephen A’s apology he is correct on one point.
He did not clearly articulate his message.
I’ve watched and read his comments and I’m still not quite sure of what he was getting at.
But, his unartful words did serve to bring light to a very important issue that has been largely overlooked since his appearance on ESPN, and that is the subject of domestic violence and what we can do to try to prevent it.
We must keep in mind though that domestic violence isn’t a one way street.
Men don’t just hit or abuse women.
Women do abuse men.
Dr. Judy Ho, a clinical and forensic psychologist, told me on CNN last night that women very often are the ones who start the altercation by hitting first, not in all instances, but in many – again that’s according to the doctor.
Also last night on CNN, Phillip W. Cook, author of the book, ‘Abused Men: The Hidden Side of Domestic Violence’, the incidence of domestic violence committed by men against women are pretty close to the number of incidence where women abuse men.
However, he and Dr. Ho both say there is never an excuse for a man hitting a woman.
They also say there is never an excuse for a woman hitting a man.
The bottom line here is, saying someone provoked their own beating or abuse, is just ludicrous.
Everybody should keep their hands to themselves.
If Stephen A. and others had simply said that, and Ray Rice had practiced it, there would be no need for uproar, misunderstandings, suspensions and apologies.
I’ll say it again, everyone just keep your hands to yourselves.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Don Lemon Says Stephen A. Smith Could End Up Helping With Domestic Violence