It’s a tale of two cities; one is Chicago, the other, New York.
It starts like this:
“It’s 10pm. do you know where your children are?”
Remember that phrase on the TV and the radio?
Do you know where it came from?
It started in the summer of ’67 when youth curfews were put into place after rioting and unrest in several U.S. cities like Newark, buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles and beyond.
Some say it started in Buffalo.
Others say it was New York City where the news anchor on the 10 o’clock news began each nightly broadcast with that phrase, as a reminder to parents, to keep their children off the streets.
That station is NWYW. It was WNEW back then. It was the first TV station at which i ever worked.
I often wondered why the announcer would ask that question before the beginning of each broadcast, but never got to the bottom of it until now.
Until this past holiday week when an astounding number of people were injured by gunfire in New York and Chicago.
In Chicago a staggering 82 people were shot, most of them young people.
Sixteen of them died.
The Mayor and the police chief announced this week that they overwhelmed by guns and gangs are scrambling to put hundreds more officers on the streets, as fast as they can.
Last weekend in New York City 12 people were shot, most of them young people. Three of them were killed.
But the weekend before that 21, mostly young people, were shot in the city, 2 died.
Shooting violence is up 10 percent, so much so that some residents, who celebrated when the city’s controversial stop-and-frisk policy was scaled back, are now wondering if it should make a return.
The police department is also wondering if they need to bring it back, and have commissioned a study.
Ending the program which many call racial profiling was one of the signature promises of new York’s new Mayor Bill Di Blasio.
And depending on the study’s outcome he may have to renege, too much money is at stake.
And as history shows, money can quite often trump civil rights.
So to the people who can make a difference outside of the police department, the people who can help stop the violence other than police, the people who can save young lives right in their own homes- the parents.
My question is for you, whatever o’clock it may be, a.m. or p.m., do you know where your children are?
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Don Lemon On Why Stop And Frisk Could Make A Comeback, Like It Or Not