Let me tell you a story.
It’s a tale of two cities; one is Chicago, the other, New York.
It starts like this:
“It’s 10pm. do you know where your children are?”
Remember that phrase on the TV and the radio?
Do you know where it came from?
It started in the summer of ’67 when youth curfews were put into place after rioting and unrest in several U.S. cities like Newark, buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles and beyond.
Some say it started in Buffalo.
Others say it was New York City where the news anchor on the 10 o’clock news began each nightly broadcast with that phrase, as a reminder to parents, to keep their children off the streets.
That station is NWYW. It was WNEW back then. It was the first TV station at which i ever worked.
I often wondered why the announcer would ask that question before the beginning of each broadcast, but never got to the bottom of it until now.
Until this past holiday week when an astounding number of people were injured by gunfire in New York and Chicago.
In Chicago a staggering 82 people were shot, most of them young people.
Sixteen of them died.
The Mayor and the police chief announced this week that they overwhelmed by guns and gangs are scrambling to put hundreds more officers on the streets, as fast as they can.
Last weekend in New York City 12 people were shot, most of them young people. Three of them were killed.
But the weekend before that 21, mostly young people, were shot in the city, 2 died.
Shooting violence is up 10 percent, so much so that some residents, who celebrated when the city’s controversial stop-and-frisk policy was scaled back, are now wondering if it should make a return.
The police department is also wondering if they need to bring it back, and have commissioned a study.
Ending the program which many call racial profiling was one of the signature promises of new York’s new Mayor Bill Di Blasio.
And depending on the study’s outcome he may have to renege, too much money is at stake.
And as history shows, money can quite often trump civil rights.
So to the people who can make a difference outside of the police department, the people who can help stop the violence other than police, the people who can save young lives right in their own homes- the parents.
My question is for you, whatever o’clock it may be, a.m. or p.m., do you know where your children are?
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25