Pharrell Williams’ “Happy” and John Legend’s “All of Me” lead Nielsen BDS’ mid-year report of the most-played songs in the first half of the year on U.S. terrestrial radio stations, reports Billboard.
“Happy,” which topped Billboard’s Radio Songs chart for eight weeks (the longest lead on the chart in 2014) received a whopping 571,000 plays in the first six months of 2014. Those plays translate to 3.3 billion in total audience reach in that span.
“Happy” peaked with 226 million in weekly audience on Radio Songs (April 19), the second-best sum in the chart’s 23-year history. Williams also factors into the only song that’s logged a better total: Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines,” on which and he and T.I. are featured. The smash drew a weekly high of 229 million (Aug. 31, 2013).
Williams earns the mid-year crown with not only 2014′s top radio hit to date, but also one of the biggest and most versatile songs since BDS began tracking airplay in 1990. It became the first song to crown as many as six singular-format airplay charts, topping Pop Songs, Adult Pop Songs, Adult Contemporary, Rhythmic Songs, Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop and Adult R&B Songs.
Legend’s ballad “All of Me” ranks second over the first six months of 2014 with 555,000 plays (and 3.2 billion in cumulative audience). The song ruled Radio Songs for seven weeks, peaking with 196 million (May 10).
Rounding out the five-most-played songs of January through June, Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse,” featuring Juicy J, has garnered 554,000 plays (3.2 billion in audience); Lorde’s “Team,” 456,000 (2.4 billion); and OneRepublic’s “Counting Stars,” 420,000 (2.5 billion).
A year ago, the five most-played radio songs in the same January-June period were, overall, by artists a bit less deep into their careers. Bruno Mars claimed the top two spots, with “When I Was Your Man” (392,000 plays) and “Locked Out of Heaven” (391,000).
Taylor Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble” (368,000), Justin Timberlake’s “Suit & Tie,” featuring Jay Z (365,000), and 2013 newbies Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’ “Thrift Shop,” featuring Wanz (363,000), completed the top five.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25