During an emotional Good Morning America interview, Jordan Davis‘ parents, Lucia McBath and Ron Davis, spoke about their son’s character and insisted that God has “the ultimate justice,” reports ABC.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Michael Dunn, 47, gunned down Davis at a gas station in Jacksonville, Florida on November 23rd, 2012. The software programmer claims that he felt threatened by the teen — who was sitting inside of an SUV with friends — and loud music coming from the vehicle, so he sprayed it with nine bullets before driving away, leaving Davis to die in a friend’s arms.
None of the teens had weapons.
Dunn was found guilty of 3 counts of attempted second degree murder and one count of hurling a deadly missile. A mistrial was declared on the first-degree murder charge in Davis’ shooting death.
McBath told host GMA host Robin Roberts that Jordan was “intuitive, compassionate and the life of the party,” a young man who was always inclusive of those around him.” The clearly distraught mother also said that she believes the jury did the best they could within the construct of the law:
“We know that the jurors were posed with a very delicate and a very profound decision that they had to make, and we believe absolutely with all of our hearts that they did everything they could to come to what they believe was the most just decision,” McBath told Roberts. “We do now know that they were torn. But they’ve done the best that they can with the tools that they had at that time, and of course each one of them believes what they believe and so that’s what we have to stand on.”
Davis’ father, who has become an outspoken critic of “Stand Your Ground” laws says that even though “God has the ultimate justice,” he will continue to fight against a racist system that does not recognize the humanity of a young Black boy.
“I do think those laws have to be rewritten, and I’m going to be one who continues to fight to have Stand Your Ground laws rewritten… just think about how a person like Michael Dunn would be so callous as to just disregard the life of Jordan Davis, you know, just throw it away like it was nothing.
“I’m in constant contact with Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s father, and I text Sybrina all the time and I just want to let them know, every time I get justice for Jordan, it’s going to be justice for Trayvon, for us,” Ron Davis said.
“The ultimate justice for me, I want Michael Dunn to be tried and found guilty of killing my son, of letting him know it was wrong to kill my unarmed, 17-year-old son,” Davis said. “And all the other 17-year-olds out there, they shouldn’t have to fear the adults with the guns that are running around here shooting them at will.”
In an exclusive ABC Nightline interview Tuesday night, Dunn juror #4, a homecare nurse known simply as Valerie, said that they initially deadlocked at 10-2 in favor of convicting Dunn on 1st-degree murder. After Judge Healey read the “Allen Charge,” which encouraged the jury to deliberate further to avoid a mistrial, their contentious deliberations ended with 9-3 vote to convict, with the holdouts believing that Dunn had “reasonable belief” to fear for his life.
Valerie said that the jurors in favor of convicting Dunn believed that he used unnecessary force when he shot Davis.
“We all believed there was another way out, another option,” she said in the Nightline interview.
The jury, which was composed of four White women, two Black women, four White men, one Asian woman and one Hispanic man, deliberated for four days and remained deadlocked on the 1st-degree murder charge and lesser charges, including second degree murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, or excusable homicide.
During a post-trial press conference, Florida state special prosecutor Angela Corey said that Dunn will be retried on the 1st-degree murder charge.
“We intend to fully push for a new trial….Justice for Jordan Davis is as important as it is for any victim,” Corey said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31