NEW YORK (AP) — In an unlikely battle of sequels, “Thor: The Dark World” bested “The Best Man Holiday” at the box office.
Disney’s “Thor: The Dark World” continued its box-office reign with $38.5 million in its second week of release, according to studio estimates Sunday. Opening 15 years after the original “The Best Man,” Universal’s “The Best Man Holiday” opened strongly with $30.6 million.
Drawing an overwhelmingly female and African-American audience, “The Best Man Holiday” was a surprise challenger for the mighty “Thor.” The R-rated romantic comedy, with an ensemble cast including Morris Chestnut and Taye Diggs, debuted with more than three times the box office of 1999’s “The Best Man.” That film opened with $9 million.
The performance of Malcolm D. Lee‘s “The Best Man Holiday” continued an ongoing trend. Movies that appeal particularly to black audiences have often been surpassing expectations at the box office.
“It’s a familiar refrain, and it’s getting a little tired,” said Lee. “I thought we had a chance to do something special.”
“Lee Daniels’ The Butler” led the box office for several weeks in August, leading to a cumulative total of $115.5 million domestically. The Oscar-contender “12 Years a Slave” has made $25 million in five weeks of limited release.
Lee said that while black audiences “see everything” at the movies, from action movies to romantic comedies, he hopes broader audiences begin responding to so-called “black films.” The audience for “Best Man Holiday” was 87 percent African-American.
Regardless, a third “Best Man” film now seems a likely bet.
“If there is going to be a sequel, it won’t take 14 years,” granted Lee.
Marvel’s Norse superhero, however, has been hammering audiences around the globe. “Thor: The Dark World” made $52.5 million internationally over the weekend, bringing its worldwide total to $479.8 million. With Chris Hemsworth as the title character and Tom Hiddleston as the popular villain Loki, the Thor franchise has proven to be one of Marvel’s most successful.
Just as “Thor” approached the half-billion mark, Warner Bros.’ space adventure “Gravity” crossed it. In seven weeks of release, “Gravity” has made $514.9 million globally.
“The Best Man Holiday” was the only new wide-release opening over the weekend, as the marketplace clears out for the release of “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.” In limited release, Alexander Payne’s black-and-white Midwest road trip “Nebraska” opened in four locations with a solid $35,000 per theater average for Paramount Pictures.
Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street” was originally slated to open, but was postponed to Dec. 25 by Paramount.
Expected to be one of the year’s biggest debuts, Lionsgate’s “Catching Fire” will abruptly close the box-office window for “Thor” next weekend. “Catching Fire” opened in Brazil over the weekend, earning $6.3 million.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Rentrak. Where available, latest international numbers for Friday through Sunday are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. “Thor: The Dark World,” $38.5 million ($52.5 million international).
2. “The Best Man Holiday,” $30.6 million.
3. “Last Vegas,” $8.9 million ($3.5 million international).
4. “Free Birds,” $8.3 million ($1.2 million international).
5. “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa,” $7.7 million ($5.5 million international).
6. “Gravity,” $6.3 million ($18.5 million).
7. “Ender’s Game,” $6.2 million ($2.2 million international).
8. “12 Years a Slave,” $4.7 million.
9. “Captain Phillips,” $4.5 million ($8.4 million international).
10. “About Time,” $3.5 million ($1.9 million international).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30