NEW YORK (AP) — In an unlikely battle of sequels, “Thor: The Dark World” bested “The Best Man Holiday” at the box office.
Disney’s “Thor: The Dark World” continued its box-office reign with $38.5 million in its second week of release, according to studio estimates Sunday. Opening 15 years after the original “The Best Man,” Universal’s “The Best Man Holiday” opened strongly with $30.6 million.
Drawing an overwhelmingly female and African-American audience, “The Best Man Holiday” was a surprise challenger for the mighty “Thor.” The R-rated romantic comedy, with an ensemble cast including Morris Chestnut and Taye Diggs, debuted with more than three times the box office of 1999’s “The Best Man.” That film opened with $9 million.
The performance of Malcolm D. Lee‘s “The Best Man Holiday” continued an ongoing trend. Movies that appeal particularly to black audiences have often been surpassing expectations at the box office.
“It’s a familiar refrain, and it’s getting a little tired,” said Lee. “I thought we had a chance to do something special.”
“Lee Daniels’ The Butler” led the box office for several weeks in August, leading to a cumulative total of $115.5 million domestically. The Oscar-contender “12 Years a Slave” has made $25 million in five weeks of limited release.
Lee said that while black audiences “see everything” at the movies, from action movies to romantic comedies, he hopes broader audiences begin responding to so-called “black films.” The audience for “Best Man Holiday” was 87 percent African-American.
Regardless, a third “Best Man” film now seems a likely bet.
“If there is going to be a sequel, it won’t take 14 years,” granted Lee.
Marvel’s Norse superhero, however, has been hammering audiences around the globe. “Thor: The Dark World” made $52.5 million internationally over the weekend, bringing its worldwide total to $479.8 million. With Chris Hemsworth as the title character and Tom Hiddleston as the popular villain Loki, the Thor franchise has proven to be one of Marvel’s most successful.
Just as “Thor” approached the half-billion mark, Warner Bros.’ space adventure “Gravity” crossed it. In seven weeks of release, “Gravity” has made $514.9 million globally.
“The Best Man Holiday” was the only new wide-release opening over the weekend, as the marketplace clears out for the release of “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.” In limited release, Alexander Payne’s black-and-white Midwest road trip “Nebraska” opened in four locations with a solid $35,000 per theater average for Paramount Pictures.
Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street” was originally slated to open, but was postponed to Dec. 25 by Paramount.
Expected to be one of the year’s biggest debuts, Lionsgate’s “Catching Fire” will abruptly close the box-office window for “Thor” next weekend. “Catching Fire” opened in Brazil over the weekend, earning $6.3 million.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Rentrak. Where available, latest international numbers for Friday through Sunday are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.
1. “Thor: The Dark World,” $38.5 million ($52.5 million international).
2. “The Best Man Holiday,” $30.6 million.
3. “Last Vegas,” $8.9 million ($3.5 million international).
4. “Free Birds,” $8.3 million ($1.2 million international).
5. “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa,” $7.7 million ($5.5 million international).
6. “Gravity,” $6.3 million ($18.5 million).
7. “Ender’s Game,” $6.2 million ($2.2 million international).
8. “12 Years a Slave,” $4.7 million.
9. “Captain Phillips,” $4.5 million ($8.4 million international).
10. “About Time,” $3.5 million ($1.9 million international).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31