LOS ANGELES (AP) — Five women sitting around talking has become a TV staple. Five women talking, each of whom is either black, Asian or Latino, is something different.
It’s the approach tested by two shows: “The Real,” airing on a handful of Fox-owned stations, and the Aspire channel’s “Exhale.”
For “The Real,” concluding an experimental run Friday, the multi-ethnic panel of Tamar Braxton, Loni Love, Adrienne Bailon, Jeannie Mai and Tamera Mowry-Housley isn’t the point, said producer SallyAnn Salsano.
“It’s something we don’t really talk about. … We just picked who’s best for the show. We didn’t say, ‘Where’s our white one?'” Salsano said.
The difference in “The Real,” she said, is generational. Other female-centric talk shows like “The View,” the genre groundbreaker when Barbara Walters launched it in 1997, tend toward older hosts with more settled lives and perspectives.
As a 39-year-old woman with friends who are single like her or dealing with the ups and downs of married life, Salsano said, “There’s no one who represents me on any of those” other shows.
Relationships, child-rearing and other challenges “are topics these girls are living,” she said of “The Real” hosts.
Exactly, said Braxton, an R&B singer and star of the WE channel’s reality show “Tamar & Vince.”
“I’m a big fan of ‘The View’ and ‘The Talk,’ but with ‘The Real,’ it’s my generation,” whether the topic is pop culture or a candid take on daily life, she said. In a discussion of childbirth, “We really got honest with the audience. I didn’t have the best experience. … You only hear the good side” elsewhere on TV.
The daytime show concludes its four-week test Friday on stations in New York, Los Angeles, Washington, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Houston and Tampa, Fla. A similar run last summer for “Bethenny” led to a syndicated berth this fall for Bethenny Frankel’s show.
“Exhale” also is getting a summer tryout but, in contrast, the ethnicity of its five African-American co-hosts is front and center on Aspire, a black-oriented cable channel.
The goal is “to focus on topics that are important to the African-American woman and to the African-American family and to the African-American community,” said Paul Butler, general manager of Aspire, which launched “Exhale” as a weekly nighttime series in June on the channel’s first anniversary. It airs Wednesday at 8 p.m., 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. EDT.
Issues including relationships, health, beauty, careers and financial planning are discussed in what Butler said are more than “30-second sound bites” by hosts Angela Burt-Murray, Erin Jackson, Issa Rae, Rene Syler and Malinda Williams, who are joined by doctors and other experts as well as celebrities.
The panel’s ethnicity “changes the focus of the conversation,” said Syler, a writer and TV anchor. “You wouldn’t necessarily see something that was of care and concern specifically to black women when only one African-American is represented. These are issues you talk about in your living room.”
The decision on whether “Exhale” will return for a second year is pending as the audience weighs in. Syler suggested that non-black women give the show a try.
“There are issues we talk about that transcend race. There are issues that all women understand: ‘Am I on the right path, am I going to find a soul mate?'” she said. Talk shows like “Exhale” provide a sounding board and “make it safe or you to own your own feelings.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31