Raven-Symonè appears to have put long-held rumors about her sexual orientation to rest when she tweeted that she can “finally get married” and thanked the government for it.
Of course, it’s a safe assumption that the 27-year-old actress is referring to the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn The Defense of Marriage Act back in June, which will allow same same-sex marriages to be recognized by the federal government — and that just this week Minnesota and Rhode Island became the latest states to legalize same sex marriage.
In the past, Symonè has been much more private about her personal life. The last time the Internet lit up with rumors that she was gay was when she tweeted:
“My sexual orientation is mine, and the person I’m dating to know. I’m not one for a public display of my life,”
In a statement, Symonè told E! News: “I am very happy that gay marriage is opening up around the country and is being accepted. I was excited to hear today that more states legalized gay marriage. I, however am not currently getting married, but it is great to know I can now, should I wish to.”
Out and Proud Celebrities
25 photos Launch gallery
1. EJ Johnson
1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)
2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon
3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.
4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins
5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.
6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.
7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)
8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.
9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)
10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)
11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)
12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)
13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.
14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)
15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels
16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)
17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)
18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)
19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)
20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)
21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)
22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)
23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.
24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.
25 of 25