Highlights: The Acura RDX went through a major overhaul during the 2013 model year.
Test vehicle’s MSRP: $40,515 (Base model starts at $35,415)
Seating Capacity: 5
Standard Safety Features: airbags (driver, passenger, side, curtain); rollover sensors; vehicle stability assist; a tire pressure monitoring system; and daytime running lights
Standard Equipment: 18-inch wheels; leather seats; push-button keyless starter; power front seats; heated front seats; auto dimming rearview mirror; and a power moonroof
Standard Audio: a 7-speaker 360-watt, AM/FM/CD with XM satellite
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty: 4 years or 50,000 miles
Powertrain Warranty: 6 years or 70,000 miles
Bluetooth Compatibility: Yes
Test Vehicle Standard Engine/Horsepower: 3.5-liter, 6-cylinder/273-horsepower
Recommended Fuel: Premium
Standard Fuel Mileage: 19-city/27-hwy
Base (front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive)
Tech (front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive)
What’s New: Acura’s entry-level RDX was redesign during the 2013 model year.
Pros: The RDX is available in either a front-wheel drive or a all-wheel drive configuration. By adding the all-wheel drive configuration, the price rises by approximately $1,400. The second-generation RDX is also larger than the previous generation RDX, which translates into more interior room for both the occupants and the cargo area, too. The RDX is also the perfect size, making it nimble and easier to navigate the roads, as opposed to some of the seven-passenger vehicles.The well-equipped and well-built RDX is priced lower than the other 5-passenger luxury compact crossovers in its class. Like Honda, Acura, the luxury sibling to the mass market brand, has a simple ordering process, meaning their vehicles are only available with a few trim package.
In the case of the RDX, its available with or without a Tech package, which consists of a voice-activated nav system, a rearview camera, real-time traffic (real-time weather updates), a 10-speaker surround/sound system, a power tailgate, Xenon headlights and foglights.
Occupants will also find that once inside the cabin the nav and the audio system are relatively easy to use. Unlike some of today’s vehicles, no extensive training is needed to figure out how to use the high-tech infotainment systems.
Cons: Acura’s are known for having a stiff suspension, the MDX continues the tradition. Those seeking a luxury-oriented suspension should look elsewhere. The well-equipped RDX lacks a few luxury feature found in some of the non premium crossovers, an oversize sunroof, heated rear seats and ventilated front seats.
And while we like Acura’s simple-ordering packaging system, a rearview camera should be standard on all RDX. This should not be an item folded into the high-dollar Tech package.
Verdict: Ironically, the current-generation Acura RDX is nearly about the same size as the first-generation MDX, the brand’s flagship crossover. The stylish and roomy RDX offers a number of amenities, making this a competitive player in the compact crossover segment. Acura manages to do this and more in the RDX at a lower price point, too than many of its competitors.
Competition: Audi Q5, BMW X3, Cadillac SRX, Land Rover Evoque, and Mercedes GLK
Jeff Fortson is an auto analyst and editor of a car-buying website for women and minorities. To learn more about his popular car-buying workshop and/or to price a new-vehicle, drive on over to JeffCars.com. Follow him @ Twitter/JeffCars.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30