Spike Lee has been the nation’s leading Black cinema artist for many years. His groundbreaking film “She’s Gotta Have It” was released in 1986, and along the way Lee has made several memorable films including “Mo’ Betta Blues” “Jungle Fever” and his polarizing “Do The Right Thing.”
Although he’s not given the credit he deserves for it, he’s also boosted the careers of Samuel L. Jackson, Wesley Snipes and Denzel Washington, among others, including Oscar winner Halle Berry, who made her film debut in “Jungle Fever.”
Today Lee is asking his fans for help. His latest feature, due out October 25, is an American remake of the violent Korean film “Oldboy” starring Josh Brolin and Samuel L. Jackson. On that film, as he was with 2006’s“Inside Man” he is a hired gun doing a studio project. On his own, though, Lee wants to do a new film “about people addicted to blood” and he’s joined Kickstarter to ask for funding assistance.
“There’s a new thing called crowd-funding where you get your fans, your public to help you finance your film,” Lee told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “We’re doing it on a vehicle called Kickstarter. I’m trying to raise $1.25 million dollars. It’s a thriller. We’re not calling it a vampire movie. You can be addicted to blood and not be a vampire.”
Lee says that fans of the cancelled TV show “Veronica Mars” raised over $5 million to support the upcoming movie, and fans of the TV show “Scrubs” chipped in $3 million to help its star, Zach Braff, make his next film “Wish I Was Here. “ Kickstarter and other sites like it are what artists are increasingly turning to for funding for movie, TV and music projects.
Lee further explains that while you’re not an investor in any of the Kickstarter projects so you don’t profit, if you have $10,000 to invest you’ll get dinner and courtside Knicks seats with Lee. For $5,000 you get an associate producer credit.
But even if you’re not a baller, you can participate and support your favorite filmmaker in affordable contributions as well, ranging from $5 and up. Everyone who contributes will get something, from a tweet from Lee for smaller donors to inside information on the film’s production to the aforementioned Knicks game
“We’re doing good,” says Lee. “But it’s a grind. You’ve got to get out there every day.” In it’s first day, Lee has raised $17,000 plus dollars but there are only 29 days left to contribute. If he doesn’t reach his goal by August 21, Kickstarter returns the money to contributors and Lee’s next film may not get made.
There’s not much more Lee is willing to say about the film’s content.
“Here’s the thing. [People] are so conditioned today to knowing every thing about a movie. You watch a trailer today, you don’t have to go see the movie! We want there to be some element of surprise so you don’t know exactly everything that’s in the film.”
Lee says that the average Hollywood blockbuster has a budget of $100 million and that indie films, which have much more of a limited return, are harder to make.
“This summer there were 29 sequels or prequels,” Lee says. “They’re not making those type of films. I don’t really make films with people blowing up. I don’t think “Do The Right Thing” would be made today.”
Click here to help fund Spike Lee’s next film via Kickstarter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30