From the time he crafted the insta-classic “Where I Wanna Be,” Donell Jones has been among the R&B singers that you loved even if you didn’t hear as much about him as his more publicity-minded colleagues. A star in the 90’s on the LaFace label with Toni Braxton and TLC, once the decade ended, Jones found himself fighting for attention on his new label, Jive.
With R. Kelly, Usher, Anthony Hamilton and Justin Timberlake already established there, Jones decided to go independent, establishing his own label, Candy Man Music. His new project “Lyrics” is the result of four months of work crafting just the right mix of songs for his fans who’ve remained loyal despite his being out of the spotlight for a minute.
“I’ve just been in the lab, loving life and just had a new baby,” Jones told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. His new “baby” is actually five years old but Jones said this is the first time he’s been fully involved.
“With my other kids, I never had a chance to be there, I was always on the road a lot. This time I’ve had the chance to there throughout all the stages.”
Love, with all its ups and downs is fully explored on “Lyrics.” Jones, who says he’s in love now, has five children, four from a previous relationship and one with his current girlfriend. The Chicago native says he always writes from the heart.
“Most of the songs are about my personal experiences in life. Love is a beautiful thing when it’s working. Oh yeah, definitely. I write whatever I’m going through. It’s just something about those slow records that get the crowd pumped up. A lot of [songwriting] is fact with a lot of fiction. It’s just like writing a movie – some of it’s going to be true, some of it’s going to be fake.”
“I just really feel like when you put on someone’s album you want to hear them. You don’t want to feel like it’s a compilation album. I just go in every time and try to make records that can stand alone without somebody on them. And then when you do a concert, people expect that person to be there with you. And nine times out of ten, they aren’t.”
I like all three. I like writing, producing and singing. I really can’t pick one over the other. Writing for me is special because I bet a chance to get off my chest what’s going on. But being on that stage it’s beautiful to see how what you’ve written affects other people. So I’ll take them all.”
Don’t Blame Me: “A lot of cats out there didn’t have a father so they learned from the streets. But when you really understand what being a real man is, can you really blame me for what I did? Now I really understand.”
I Miss the King (a tribute to Michael Jackson) : “My favorite artist of all time. I grew up listening to all his songs. One of the first songs I learned to sing from him was “Lady In My Life.” Nobody had done a tribute song to him– which was kinda weird – and I felt like I owed it to him. Without him, I wouldn’t be who I am.”
Watch Jones’s In-Studio Jam here:
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25