Our own Tom Joyner may have a Tyler Perry production in his future. When Perry called into The Tom Joyner Morning Show today, he was laughing at the proposed plays Tom featured in his latest blog post. “At Least I Got A Man,” was just one of the titles, along with “That Negro Can Pray.” But while Perry said he’d be happy to take a meeting about the proposals, his real purpose was to call in and thank his viewers for the success of his latest productions on the OWN Network.
“I just wanted to call in and say thank you to all the people. In your blog, you start talking about where we all come from. And for Oprah and I to team up and for the people to be standing with us and putting us up on their shoulders and showing up for “The Haves and the Have Nots” and ‘Love Thy Neighbor” last week like never before, it was really, really phenomenal. The OWN Network doesn’t want to scream too loud because they don’t want to backlash against the success in cable but it was huge, man. I just want to say thank you to all the people who showed up and watched it. It really, really makes me feel good. It’s the highest rating on the network with the exception of the Bobbi Kristina/Whitney Houston family interview right after she passed.
We as Black people don’t come together. That’s been our problem. That’s why it’s been so easy for us to never really see tremendous success in Hollywood or in other places because we don’t put our resources together like all of our other brothers and sisters do. We’d rather stand on our own and be selfish – I got this, I got that, rather than coming together to make it happen. [This success is] a history making moment.”
Perry says that his personal success notwithstanding, he’s happy that he helped Oprah turn around the struggling OWN Network, which has found hits in shows like “Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s” and “Iyanla, Fix My Life.”
“It makes me feel really good to be able to help a friend. In the beginning it was very difficult for her. To watch her change this thing around and pull out of it, I’m grateful to God for it.”
Perry says that now that the first episode has aired, viewers should brace themselves for the drama to come, especially on “The Haves and the Have Nots.”
“Let me tell you about “The Haves and the Have Nots,” you just need to hold on. You ain’t seen nothing yet. I didn’t want to go too racy with the sex. At one point on “Scandal,” they’re in the show and the wife disappears below the frame. I’m like what the hell? This is television. This is regular television. It’s a ride, man. Tonight, you went on the ride last week, but this is when it really starts. Every Tuesday night we’re going to blow your mind.”
Perry says you can join him the cast and Oprah on Twitter and Facebook, during the show. Last week, “The Haves and the Have Nots” was second in social media activity only to the NBA playoffs. “The Haves and the Have Nots” airs on OWN Tuesday nights at 9 p.m.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25