Guy Fisher was a notorious gangster in Harlem in the 1970’s who also became the first black man to own the Apollo Theater. Fisher was a part of the crime wave that ruled the streets of Harlem from 1977 to 1983. Fisher was among the crime group called “The Council” under boss Leroy “Nicky” Barnes. Incidentally, it was Barnes’ testimony that put Fisher away for life in Tuscon, Arizona.
Fisher is a south Bronx native. Fisher and his siblings were raised by a mother and absentee father in the housing projects. Their father was addicted to alcohol and gambling and often misused the family money. Fisher’s father was also physically abusive to both his mother and the children. Fisher’s lack of supervision and knack for street fighting landed him in a juvenile detention facility as a teenager and he soon dropped out of school. During this time, he was introduced to Leroy “Nicky” Barnes, the most ruthless drug kingpin on the streets of Harlem.
By the time Fisher as 25 years old, he and Barnes had collaborated as partners in Barnes’ “The Council” organization of crime bosses. Working like a corporation, Barnes and Fisher built two multi-million dollar businesses with the money they earned from heroin sales.
During a traffic stop, Fisher was arrested for trying to bribe the police with $100,000 if they wouldn’t arrest him. As a result, he served nine months in prison. While he was inside, the FBI tracked the activity of “The Council”, a fact that would help Fisher avoid conviction since he was incarcerated during the investigation.
In 1978, Fisher was out of jail and used his money from drug trafficking to renovate the historic Apollo Theater. He put the deed in his half brother’s name, and employed neighborhood people to help renovate the building. The new Apollo Theater was unveiled with performances from Motown acts like Gladys Knight, Jimi Hendrix and The Temptations.
Though he may have wanted to put his money to better use in the community and change his path, Fisher was still part of “The Council”.
With Nicky Barnes in prison, Fisher’s power grew among his peers in the game. He stopped supporting Barnes’ legal issues and even dated Barnes’ girlfriend. Barnes retaliated against Fisher by working with the FBI as an informant to put Fisher away for life.
Since he has been imprisoned, Fisher has earned a Bachelors and Masters degrees and PH.D in sociology. He’s penned several novels, and mentors inmates. He continues to appeal his conviction with no success.
Guy Fisher’s life story was featured on the BET documentary show, “American Gangster” during its third season.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25