Well guys, they threw momma from the train, no, they actually threw momma from the train… unbelievable.
Most of you by now have probably seen the videotape from this ugly and remarkable incident in Miami― which happened back in February but this past week, made national news ―where a white Metro-Dade Transit security guard roughly drags 82-year old Emma Anderson from a commuter train for the heinous crime of singing spirituals.
The elderly African-American woman was singing gospel hymns in her train seat when a transit security guard asked her to stop, contending she was being disruptive.
Then, it was ‘Lights, Camera, Action’ since, not surprisingly, someone clicked the camera on their cell phone and it was not a pretty sight. The security guard aggressively tugs at the bag Anderson clings to over the gasps of the passengers. The force of his actions causes the 82-year old woman to fall backwards near the platform amidst the shock and anger of the onlookers.
Anderson was subsequently taken to the hospital with a bruised hip and shoulder.
How sick is that? What in the world have we come to when an 82 year-old woman is treated this way for singing spirituals?
Now, I am fully aware there are rules in place in Miami-Dade County that actually prohibit singing, dancing or playing an instrument without a permit and I recognize that these policies are in place to minimize disruptions for all passengers.
However, these rules lose their value when they are enforced callously, unethically and without context and throwing an elderly woman off of a train for singing is not what most Americans would want to see their tax dollars supporting.
And regardless of the policy, this action was both unnecessary and flat out wrong. There’s a thing called human decency and this privately-contracted security guard from the company 50 State Security Services showed none.
Apparently, it’s not the first time, since the Huffington Post reported last week that Miami blogger Carlos Miller was allegedly assaulted by members of 50 State when he attempted to take video of the Metro-rail.
Miller has spoken out publicly against 50 State, criticizing their contract with Miami-Dade Transit and what he calls “their severe lack of training in how to adequately relate to the general public…” He’s filing suit against the security company.
We’re not going to stand for it either. You can email Miami Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez at Mayor@miamidade.gov or call him at 305-375-5071 to tell him the actions of security contractor, 50 State Security Services, are unacceptable.
I’ll close with this from writer, Mark Twain:
“Laws control the lesser man… Right conduct controls the greater one.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25