Well guys, they threw momma from the train, no, they actually threw momma from the train… unbelievable.
Most of you by now have probably seen the videotape from this ugly and remarkable incident in Miami― which happened back in February but this past week, made national news ―where a white Metro-Dade Transit security guard roughly drags 82-year old Emma Anderson from a commuter train for the heinous crime of singing spirituals.
The elderly African-American woman was singing gospel hymns in her train seat when a transit security guard asked her to stop, contending she was being disruptive.
Then, it was ‘Lights, Camera, Action’ since, not surprisingly, someone clicked the camera on their cell phone and it was not a pretty sight. The security guard aggressively tugs at the bag Anderson clings to over the gasps of the passengers. The force of his actions causes the 82-year old woman to fall backwards near the platform amidst the shock and anger of the onlookers.
Anderson was subsequently taken to the hospital with a bruised hip and shoulder.
How sick is that? What in the world have we come to when an 82 year-old woman is treated this way for singing spirituals?
Now, I am fully aware there are rules in place in Miami-Dade County that actually prohibit singing, dancing or playing an instrument without a permit and I recognize that these policies are in place to minimize disruptions for all passengers.
However, these rules lose their value when they are enforced callously, unethically and without context and throwing an elderly woman off of a train for singing is not what most Americans would want to see their tax dollars supporting.
And regardless of the policy, this action was both unnecessary and flat out wrong. There’s a thing called human decency and this privately-contracted security guard from the company 50 State Security Services showed none.
Apparently, it’s not the first time, since the Huffington Post reported last week that Miami blogger Carlos Miller was allegedly assaulted by members of 50 State when he attempted to take video of the Metro-rail.
Miller has spoken out publicly against 50 State, criticizing their contract with Miami-Dade Transit and what he calls “their severe lack of training in how to adequately relate to the general public…” He’s filing suit against the security company.
We’re not going to stand for it either. You can email Miami Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez at Mayor@miamidade.gov or call him at 305-375-5071 to tell him the actions of security contractor, 50 State Security Services, are unacceptable.
I’ll close with this from writer, Mark Twain:
“Laws control the lesser man… Right conduct controls the greater one.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30