Rev. Al Sharpton has his feet to the pavement this morning marching in Washington D.C. over the Supreme Court’s hearing over the Shelby vs. Holder case, if the court rules Section V of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional; it will allow for devastating changes to happen to the Voting Rights Act. Find out more about the possible change below.
Tom Joyner: From Washington, D.C. where he is marching at the Supreme Court this morning, Reverend Al Sharpton. Good morning.
Rev. Al Sharpton: Good morning. Good morning. And we are in Washington, D.C. because this morning the Supreme Court will hear the case of Shelby County versus Holder. This is where they will rule on whether or not the Section V of the Voting Rights Act is constitutional. And Section V is the preclearance statute, in layman’s terms that me and Jay would understand, It is where those who have a historic pattern of racism or discrimination in voting would have to get a preclearance from the Justice Department to change any of their voting laws, or voting procedures, which means they couldn’t have done Voter ID or end early voting, or end Sunday to the souls to the polls last year without preclearance, which is why the Justice Department and Attorney General Holder could stop South Carolina and stop Texas last year.
If they vote to make it unconstitutional they can change all of the voting laws everywhere without having to go through the Justice Department. This would be devastating. This would mean, in fact, we have no redress. We’d have to start all over again like we did before 1965 to get the Voting Rights Act. So as the President and others unveil Rosa Parks statue today, on Statutory Hall at the Capitol, they’re trying to undermine everything that Rosa Parks and Doctor King stood for at the Supreme Court. We’re at the point of battle. This is as serious as it gets and we hope people that are in the Washington area come and join us. We’ll be all day. I’m going into the hearing around ten, but the rally starts at nine and we’ll be here until the Justices have heard the argument from the Legal Defense Fund. But it’s Ground Zero on voter rights today in Washington, D.C.
Tom Joyner: Rev, what do you think is going to happen? How is the vote going to go? What do you think?
Rev. Al Sharpton: I think the problem is that you have many important vote of 5 to 4 swing to the conservatives. And Attorney Michael Harding’s General Council National Action Network is with me and will sitting in the arguments, and he’s raised a concern that by them picking it up means that somebody wants to mess with it. That’s not a good sign, which is why we need to be out here in force to let them know you can turn back the clock, but we will not let you turn back time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25