Rev. Al Sharpton has his feet to the pavement this morning marching in Washington D.C. over the Supreme Court’s hearing over the Shelby vs. Holder case, if the court rules Section V of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional; it will allow for devastating changes to happen to the Voting Rights Act. Find out more about the possible change below.
Tom Joyner: From Washington, D.C. where he is marching at the Supreme Court this morning, Reverend Al Sharpton. Good morning.
Rev. Al Sharpton: Good morning. Good morning. And we are in Washington, D.C. because this morning the Supreme Court will hear the case of Shelby County versus Holder. This is where they will rule on whether or not the Section V of the Voting Rights Act is constitutional. And Section V is the preclearance statute, in layman’s terms that me and Jay would understand, It is where those who have a historic pattern of racism or discrimination in voting would have to get a preclearance from the Justice Department to change any of their voting laws, or voting procedures, which means they couldn’t have done Voter ID or end early voting, or end Sunday to the souls to the polls last year without preclearance, which is why the Justice Department and Attorney General Holder could stop South Carolina and stop Texas last year.
If they vote to make it unconstitutional they can change all of the voting laws everywhere without having to go through the Justice Department. This would be devastating. This would mean, in fact, we have no redress. We’d have to start all over again like we did before 1965 to get the Voting Rights Act. So as the President and others unveil Rosa Parks statue today, on Statutory Hall at the Capitol, they’re trying to undermine everything that Rosa Parks and Doctor King stood for at the Supreme Court. We’re at the point of battle. This is as serious as it gets and we hope people that are in the Washington area come and join us. We’ll be all day. I’m going into the hearing around ten, but the rally starts at nine and we’ll be here until the Justices have heard the argument from the Legal Defense Fund. But it’s Ground Zero on voter rights today in Washington, D.C.
Tom Joyner: Rev, what do you think is going to happen? How is the vote going to go? What do you think?
Rev. Al Sharpton: I think the problem is that you have many important vote of 5 to 4 swing to the conservatives. And Attorney Michael Harding’s General Council National Action Network is with me and will sitting in the arguments, and he’s raised a concern that by them picking it up means that somebody wants to mess with it. That’s not a good sign, which is why we need to be out here in force to let them know you can turn back the clock, but we will not let you turn back time.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31