STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Retired boxing champion Sugar Ray Leonard said Monday he cried for Jerry Sandusky's accusers after hearing of the former Penn State assistant football coach's arrest on child sex abuse charges nearly a year ago.
An abuse survivor himself, Leonard said he hopes the accusers can draw from his own story and willingness to speak out about a problem that garnered national attention following the Sandusky scandal.
"What I had heard about Penn State — I cried for those victims," Leonard told reporters after speaking at Penn State's inaugural Child Sexual Abuse Conference. "Because I knew what they'd dealt with, what they lived with … It's such an awful thing that eats away at you, that makes you feel that you're to blame."
Sandusky, 68, was sentenced to at least 30 years in prison earlier this month after being convicted on dozens of criminal counts covering abuse allegations both on and off campus. Eight accusers testified at the June trial.
Leonard said he didn't plan to reach out to the accusers. But asked what advice he would pass on, Leonard said it would be to "surrender. And surrender means, 'Yes it did happen,' but now deal with it. Speak up, speak out.
"Because if it happened to you, you can prevent it from happening to somebody else," he said. "It's being of service."
Penn State said 500 people had registered to attend the conference. About 420 showed up as of Monday, with Hurricane Sandy disrupting travel plans across the eastern United States.
After morning classes were held as scheduled, the main University Park campus shut down by about 1 p.m. But the university said the conference would go on as scheduled, wrapping up Tuesday with a keynote address by former kidnapping victim Elizabeth Smart.
The university hopes to become a leader in the research, treatment and prevention of child sex abuse. President Rodney Erickson said the origins of the conference go back a year, after Sandusky's Nov. 5 arrest.
The arrest plunged the school into scandal and led to the ouster of the late Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno.
At the first full day of the conference, Erickson outlined ways the school is reaching out to help victims of abuse.
"Child abuse is a tragedy for children, for families and for society, and the time to step up the effort to stop it is now," Erickson told attendees.
Experts contend cases of abuse are underreported.
About 68,000 cases of abuse were reported to protection services in 2010, according to data cited by University of New Hampshire researcher David Finkelhor. A 2006 study estimated there are 180,000 cases known to professionals.
But Finkelhor cited an academic study that estimated there may have been 1.6 million "contact sexual offenses" of juveniles in 2011.
"Sexual abuse does a lot of collateral damage … It's not uncommon in the wake of sexual abuse for whole communities to lose their sense of trust," he said.
Leonard revealed last year in a book that he was sexually abused by a coach while in the amateurs, something that haunted him throughout his life and led him to turn to alcohol and drugs.
The issue is still difficult for Leonard, who said he has been sober for six years. He choked up at times during his speech in a conference center ballroom.
Beside the book, Leonard said he had spoken out before a large group on the topic just once before, for a TV show. He had qualms about speaking at Penn State and sought beforehand to prepare his 15-year-old daughter, Camille, who accompanied him to State College, about what he would talk about since he thought she did not know.
It turns out, she did.
"She looked at me, and said, 'Pop, I know,'" Leonard said. "And that's a good thing because our kids need to know more. They need to be protected more."
Leonard said Monday he was abused in separate instances by two men, both of whom are now dead. He did not identify them.
"People need to hear more of this. You know what, use me, I will be that leader," Leonard said. "I will stand right there and say, 'Yes, something must be done now.' Not later, now."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30