Sleep depravity not only affects your mood and energy levels but can also intensify insulin resistance.
Researchers have found new health risks associated with little sleep that connects to obesity and type II diabetes.
A new study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine showed that lack of sleep can hinder fat cells from responding to insulin, the hormone responsible for controlling the metabolism in relation to diabetes.
Scientists studied seven young men and women over the span of eight days allowing them to sleep normally for only four nights. For the remaining nights, subjects were restricted to receiving 4.5 hours of sleep and were placed on a limited diet to allow scientists to monitor their caloric intake.
Blood tests showed that the participants’ insulin sensitivity dropped by an average of 16 percent after being sleep deprived for four days. Test results also showed that their fat cell sensitivity to insulin lowered by 30 percent, which is similar to levels experienced by someone who is obese or diabetic.
“This is the equivalent of metabolically aging someone 10 to 20 years just from four nights of partial sleep restriction, said Matthew Brady, the study’s lead author and a professor of medicine at the University of Chicago. “Fat cells need sleep, and when they don’t get enough sleep, they become metabolically groggy.”
Scientists examined the fat cells even further through a biopsy and found that it took almost three times as much insulin for the cell to release an enzyme known as Akt. Akt is essential in controlling blood sugar levels.
Researchers believe that this type of heightened resistance can cause excess sugar and cholesterol to build up in the blood leading to diabetes and heart disease.
This is the first study of its kind to examine the cellular mechanisms of how insulin sensitivity is connected to lack of sleep, obesity, and diabetes.
“This takes the research on the effect of sleep deprivation on metabolism one step further, by revealing a molecular mechanism involved in the reduction of total body insulin sensitivity,” said Dr. Nathaniel F. Watson, co-director of the University of Washington Medicine Sleep Center who was not involved in the study. “If you want to make a casual argument that short sleep is causing diabetes…one of the key elements is coming up with a physiological mechanism by which this would happen.”
Critics believe that more research is needed on a variety of subjects to concretely link sleep deprivation to insulin sensitivity.
But, researchers agree to an apparent solution, more sleep.
“Until somebody invents a procedure or a pill that’s going to approximate all aspects of sleep, really what you’re left with is what is a pretty simple treatment…just turn off the computer and go to bed earlier,” Watson said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25