During a speech the President made following the Republican National Convention, he mentioned something negative Mitt Romney had said and the crowd, in support of the Big Chief, began to boo. “Don’t boo,” he said…”vote!” And he was absolutely right. Even though the great speeches at the DNC have gotten us fired up and ready to go, none of it matters unless we ALL go to the polls in November.
We can’t depend on emotion, excitement or even patriotism to get us to vote in the numbers needed to defeat Mitt Romney. If our motivation for voting is based on our feelings, we’re in trouble.
Based on the economy, the rampant neighborhood violence, school teachers threatening to strike, floods, droughts, substitute NFL referees (sorry, that’s my issue), there’s a chance that none of us will be in the mood to vote. In all honesty, you really may not be better off now than you were four years ago. You may be laid off, laid up or locked out. You may be one of the many people caring for your grandchildren and your parents in a home that is upside down. You might have a college-aged child who can’t return to school because his Pell Grant has been cut. You may be deployed to the Middle East to fight a war that looks like it will never end.
No one can deny that the country was a mess when the President got into office, and because the Republican Congress has carried out its promise to block as much of his legislation as possible, it’s not too much better today. As secure as we felt the night that we heard that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, his death added no more money to your paycheck, nor did it add any new jobs in your community.
I couldn’t have been more proud watching the First Lady address the nation and tell us why she loves the President.
The convention got off to a great start and I know it’s just going to get better when V.P. Biden, former President Clinton and the President himself takes the podium. But this is just September. What’s going to carry us through until November?
Nothing will do it except commitment and dedication to taking part in a freedom that we cannot take for granted.
A vote for the President will not miraculously change things, but we know it is a move in the right direction.
Mitt Romney and the Republicans are not going to work to make things better for us. If the tide happens to change while they’re in office, we may benefit. But I’d much rather give my support to a party that represents the values that we’ve been taught most of our lives: That if you’re blessed enough to have more than most, it’s your responsibility to help those with less. Issues like abortion and gay marriage are political. You may agree or disagree with either. But the basic message of the Democratic Party is the one that speaks to the majority of us and if you believe that message, that everybody deserves an opportunity to have a better life, then you should vote for the President in November.
It’s going to get rougher than ever after the convention ends. The opposition will be in full force trying to discredit every positive thing that was said by and about the President. The best way to defend him and the party that has our best interest at heart is to vote. Don’t boo, don’t fight, don’t cuss, don’t get fired from your job…just vote.
Let’s not let our emotions get in the way of the work that has to be done. Let’s not be motivated by anything except sheer conviction. Let’s keep our eye on the prize.
If you aren’t registered, there’s still time. Call 1-866-My-Vote-1.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30