During a speech the President made following the Republican National Convention, he mentioned something negative Mitt Romney had said and the crowd, in support of the Big Chief, began to boo. “Don’t boo,” he said…”vote!” And he was absolutely right. Even though the great speeches at the DNC have gotten us fired up and ready to go, none of it matters unless we ALL go to the polls in November.
We can’t depend on emotion, excitement or even patriotism to get us to vote in the numbers needed to defeat Mitt Romney. If our motivation for voting is based on our feelings, we’re in trouble.
Based on the economy, the rampant neighborhood violence, school teachers threatening to strike, floods, droughts, substitute NFL referees (sorry, that’s my issue), there’s a chance that none of us will be in the mood to vote. In all honesty, you really may not be better off now than you were four years ago. You may be laid off, laid up or locked out. You may be one of the many people caring for your grandchildren and your parents in a home that is upside down. You might have a college-aged child who can’t return to school because his Pell Grant has been cut. You may be deployed to the Middle East to fight a war that looks like it will never end.
No one can deny that the country was a mess when the President got into office, and because the Republican Congress has carried out its promise to block as much of his legislation as possible, it’s not too much better today. As secure as we felt the night that we heard that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, his death added no more money to your paycheck, nor did it add any new jobs in your community.
I couldn’t have been more proud watching the First Lady address the nation and tell us why she loves the President.
The convention got off to a great start and I know it’s just going to get better when V.P. Biden, former President Clinton and the President himself takes the podium. But this is just September. What’s going to carry us through until November?
Nothing will do it except commitment and dedication to taking part in a freedom that we cannot take for granted.
A vote for the President will not miraculously change things, but we know it is a move in the right direction.
Mitt Romney and the Republicans are not going to work to make things better for us. If the tide happens to change while they’re in office, we may benefit. But I’d much rather give my support to a party that represents the values that we’ve been taught most of our lives: That if you’re blessed enough to have more than most, it’s your responsibility to help those with less. Issues like abortion and gay marriage are political. You may agree or disagree with either. But the basic message of the Democratic Party is the one that speaks to the majority of us and if you believe that message, that everybody deserves an opportunity to have a better life, then you should vote for the President in November.
It’s going to get rougher than ever after the convention ends. The opposition will be in full force trying to discredit every positive thing that was said by and about the President. The best way to defend him and the party that has our best interest at heart is to vote. Don’t boo, don’t fight, don’t cuss, don’t get fired from your job…just vote.
Let’s not let our emotions get in the way of the work that has to be done. Let’s not be motivated by anything except sheer conviction. Let’s keep our eye on the prize.
If you aren’t registered, there’s still time. Call 1-866-My-Vote-1.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31