For 50 years, the Masters Golf Tournament has had the honor of employing the same African-American Caddie. His name is Carl Jackson, a.k.a. “Skillet,” the Caddiemaster. Jackson has owned the record of the most Masters caddied since 1995. Last year’s Masters marked Jackson’s 50th anniversary.
Jackson’s career started at age 11 in Augusta, GA. As a kid he would peek through the gate at the golf course in his Sand Hills neighborhood. The son of a poor single mother of nine children, Jackson took on the job to assist with living expenses. He made 75 cents shagging balls and up to $1.25 for a shag bag at the course. After two bags, he could afford to buy dinner at the local grocery store for the family.
In the first year of joining the course, Jackson had to quit school because he couldn’t afford the uniforms. This caused a problem with his job qualifications. With the help of golfer Jack Stephens who talked to the club owner and then club member, President Eisenhower, Jackson got his GED and was asked to join the PGA Tour. His life changed for the better; from then on, Jackson saw more money than he had ever seen in his life – earning up to $350 per week.
By 1976, Jackson had connected with golfer Ben Crenshaw on a recommendation and caddied for him for 35 years. They ended their relationship in 1991, but it was re-kindled when Jackson was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2000. A year later, the team reunited on the Masters course after Jackson had been treated in South Africa with crenshaw’s help.
While on the course, Jackson thinks of his band of brothers called the Augusta National caddies, or rather "the old boys," with whom he worked with from 1961 to 1983. Most of his fellow caddies, Willie "Pappy" Stokes, Nathaniel "Ironman" Avery and Willie "Cemetery" Perteet have passed away. After his 50th Masters this year, Jackson says quote: I'd like to sit under that oak tree and have a mint julep to the memory of the boys."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25