So, never mind the passing of the health reform bill. Forget about the importance of mailing back your Census form. Erykah Badu gets naked in her music video, and it immediately grabs our attention.
Anyone who has seen the Beyonce “Single Ladies” video had to wonder what could top THAT. After watching Beyonce sing and dance in less in her underwear, we thought we had seen it all – until Erykah showed it all, for real.
The thing about showing us everything is where do you go from there? Now that the news is becoming old, has she really accomplished that much? Yes, it probably will be one of the most talked about music videos in history, and who can be mad her for making headlines her own way, on her own terms? When it comes to exploitation, she’s raised the bar … or lowered it, depending on you feel about it.
I like Erykah’s music, but I can’t remember a time when anything she did got this much media attention. She boldly owned up to her antics and her intentions, not that her intentions are that easy to follow. Some things are just tough to explain. In fact, for me – and most men I know – no explanation is necessary, not for the video.
But the song? That’s another story. I was baffled after listening and not much better after reading the lyrics.
“Can I get a window seat? Don’t want nobody next to me. I just want a ticket out of town.”
Add her theory that everyone who speaks out or expresses an unpopular opinion gets shot down in this country, and it really messes up my mood. You don’t usually like to mix the viewing of a naked woman with politics.
“I need you next to me. I need your attention, I need someone to clap for me. I need your direction.”
Well, you got our attention, Erykah. And when I think about it, what you’ve done is very close to being a “party with a purpose.” That’s what we do. We get you laughing, dancing or bobbing your head, then we try to shoot some knowledge and empowerment your way. Erykah got the first part right, but I’m not so sure of how well her message got across.
Most people I know are looking for unique marketing strategies that make them outshine the rest. And most of us hope it won’t require us to be naked – unless you’re my sidekick J.Anthony Brown, who followed Erykah’s footsteps by showing a side of himself that most of us have never seen. Shot in Atlanta, people who witnessed it didn’t know if they needed binoculars or a blindfold. He let his freak flag – and whatever else – fly in front of the world. Check it out right here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30