So, never mind the passing of the health reform bill. Forget about the importance of mailing back your Census form. Erykah Badu gets naked in her music video, and it immediately grabs our attention.
Anyone who has seen the Beyonce “Single Ladies” video had to wonder what could top THAT. After watching Beyonce sing and dance in less in her underwear, we thought we had seen it all – until Erykah showed it all, for real.
The thing about showing us everything is where do you go from there? Now that the news is becoming old, has she really accomplished that much? Yes, it probably will be one of the most talked about music videos in history, and who can be mad her for making headlines her own way, on her own terms? When it comes to exploitation, she’s raised the bar … or lowered it, depending on you feel about it.
I like Erykah’s music, but I can’t remember a time when anything she did got this much media attention. She boldly owned up to her antics and her intentions, not that her intentions are that easy to follow. Some things are just tough to explain. In fact, for me – and most men I know – no explanation is necessary, not for the video.
But the song? That’s another story. I was baffled after listening and not much better after reading the lyrics.
“Can I get a window seat? Don’t want nobody next to me. I just want a ticket out of town.”
Add her theory that everyone who speaks out or expresses an unpopular opinion gets shot down in this country, and it really messes up my mood. You don’t usually like to mix the viewing of a naked woman with politics.
“I need you next to me. I need your attention, I need someone to clap for me. I need your direction.”
Well, you got our attention, Erykah. And when I think about it, what you’ve done is very close to being a “party with a purpose.” That’s what we do. We get you laughing, dancing or bobbing your head, then we try to shoot some knowledge and empowerment your way. Erykah got the first part right, but I’m not so sure of how well her message got across.
Most people I know are looking for unique marketing strategies that make them outshine the rest. And most of us hope it won’t require us to be naked – unless you’re my sidekick J.Anthony Brown, who followed Erykah’s footsteps by showing a side of himself that most of us have never seen. Shot in Atlanta, people who witnessed it didn’t know if they needed binoculars or a blindfold. He let his freak flag – and whatever else – fly in front of the world. Check it out right here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31