Next Monday, Jan. 18th, I will co-host a televised town hall meeting with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews called “Obama’s America: 2010 and Beyond.” It will take place on the campus of historically black Texas Southern University in Houston. Along with a panel of people and a live audience, Chris Matthews and I will be discussing some very important topics regarding race, the census, affirmative action and a lot of issues that are important to black America.
When I stand up at the podium, I’m representing you, the TJMS audience and the readers of BlackAmericaWeb.com. If it were not for you, trust me, I wouldn’t have been invited to co-host this event. The people at MSNBC recognize that each day, I am connected to millions of black people. After all, if anyone in mainstream media wants to reach black people, where else would they come but here? We’ve spent years building a “product” that is designed to be for and about black people. We’ve been unwavering in our efforts to remain true to our audience, and this is one of the benefits. They want to know what you think, and so do I.
When most of us worked so hard to elect the first African-American president, I believe many of us had idealistic expectations about what it would look like once it came into fruition. Now reality is setting in for everyone, including the president. My friend Tavis Smiley tried his best to get us to look at the big picture and consider the very tough job that lies ahead for the first black president. Most of us didn’t want to hear it. Love Tavis or hate him, he was really trying to prepare us for what we’re facing now.
It’s tough out here for everybody – the war, the economy, foreclosures. Any candidate who would have inherited the mess left by the last administration would be having a tough time. But I believe that this president, because he is a black man, is catching a special kind of hell. That’s actually sort of a no-brainer. The question is do we stick with President Obama unconditionally, or can we support him and honestly call him on issues that we don’t agree with. We are all charting new territory here: He, as the first black president and us, having one.
So, let’s get real for a minute and have an honest conversation. How is the president doing? Is he addressing issues you think are important specifically to black America? Has his presidency brought us together as a nation or are we more divided now, politically, racially and economically?
If you look back in history, a heavy burden lies on most firsts, especially if they’re black. Whether it’s Jackie Robinson, Mae Jemison, Hattie McDaniel, Ruby Bridges or James Perkins, a high cost is paid to be a black pioneer. We know that. The question is: How can we help make this black president’s moment in history less about race and racism and more about his leadership in these crucial times … or even, can we? Or should we
What do you think? I need responses to those questions and some questions of your own. Hit me on this blog or on my Facebook or Twitter pages. And save the date: Monday, Jan. 18th – that’s MLK Day – on MSNBC, from 9 to 11 p.m. CST, and check me out as I represent you. Click Here to submit your responses.
I’ll have more things for you to consider in my next blog. Stay tuned!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31