Next Monday, Jan. 18th, I will co-host a televised town hall meeting with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews called “Obama’s America: 2010 and Beyond.” It will take place on the campus of historically black Texas Southern University in Houston. Along with a panel of people and a live audience, Chris Matthews and I will be discussing some very important topics regarding race, the census, affirmative action and a lot of issues that are important to black America.
When I stand up at the podium, I’m representing you, the TJMS audience and the readers of BlackAmericaWeb.com. If it were not for you, trust me, I wouldn’t have been invited to co-host this event. The people at MSNBC recognize that each day, I am connected to millions of black people. After all, if anyone in mainstream media wants to reach black people, where else would they come but here? We’ve spent years building a “product” that is designed to be for and about black people. We’ve been unwavering in our efforts to remain true to our audience, and this is one of the benefits. They want to know what you think, and so do I.
When most of us worked so hard to elect the first African-American president, I believe many of us had idealistic expectations about what it would look like once it came into fruition. Now reality is setting in for everyone, including the president. My friend Tavis Smiley tried his best to get us to look at the big picture and consider the very tough job that lies ahead for the first black president. Most of us didn’t want to hear it. Love Tavis or hate him, he was really trying to prepare us for what we’re facing now.
It’s tough out here for everybody – the war, the economy, foreclosures. Any candidate who would have inherited the mess left by the last administration would be having a tough time. But I believe that this president, because he is a black man, is catching a special kind of hell. That’s actually sort of a no-brainer. The question is do we stick with President Obama unconditionally, or can we support him and honestly call him on issues that we don’t agree with. We are all charting new territory here: He, as the first black president and us, having one.
So, let’s get real for a minute and have an honest conversation. How is the president doing? Is he addressing issues you think are important specifically to black America? Has his presidency brought us together as a nation or are we more divided now, politically, racially and economically?
If you look back in history, a heavy burden lies on most firsts, especially if they’re black. Whether it’s Jackie Robinson, Mae Jemison, Hattie McDaniel, Ruby Bridges or James Perkins, a high cost is paid to be a black pioneer. We know that. The question is: How can we help make this black president’s moment in history less about race and racism and more about his leadership in these crucial times … or even, can we? Or should we
What do you think? I need responses to those questions and some questions of your own. Hit me on this blog or on my Facebook or Twitter pages. And save the date: Monday, Jan. 18th – that’s MLK Day – on MSNBC, from 9 to 11 p.m. CST, and check me out as I represent you. Click Here to submit your responses.
I’ll have more things for you to consider in my next blog. Stay tuned!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30