As Issa Rae continues to reach new heights in her professional career, the 36-year-old has not forgotten the people, and moments, that have impacted her journey. In the June issue of Vanity Fair, Rae shares a memory of late rapper Nipsey Hussle, who she says came through in a major way to mend the relationship between herself and actress Lauren London.
According to Rae, one of her “biggest regrets” occurred when she name-dropped London in interviews and her memoir. Rae said she rubbed her the wrong way by complaining that TV execs had suggested that London could play the lead in Awkward Black Girl, a role that Rae had written for herself.
“One of my biggest regrets, naming her,” said Issa. “She took offense to that.” The relationship was eventually repaired, however, one fateful night at Diddy’s 50th birthday bash.
Rae says Nispey knew of the issue and decided it was time the two made peace.
“He was like, ‘You should just talk to her. Let me set it up,’” she said. “It actually sparked an amazing two-hour conversation. We had so much in common. She was like, ‘People don’t understand, I’m an awkward Black girl.’ In the same way that I was upset about the limited portrayal of Black women, she was like, ‘People do the same thing to me.’ I completely get that.”
You can read more about Issa Rae in the June issue of Vanity Fair.
- Sean “Diddy” Combs To Temporarily Step Down as REVOLT Chairman
- Hot and Trending: Dwight Howard, Diddy, and More!
- ‘GQ Germany’ Names Erykah Badu Music Icon Of The Year In Their ‘2023 Men Of The Year’ Issue
- Diddy’s Former Head Of Security Speaks On Allegedly Witnessing Cassie Abuse
- Busta Rhymes ft. DaBaby & T-Pain “Big Everything,” Bubba Sparxxx ft. Adam Calhoun “They Just Don’t Know” & More | Daily Visuals 11.27.23
- Opening Statements In The YSL RICO Trial Started Today
- Jimmy Iovine Accused Of Sexual Abuse Under New York’s Adult Survivors Act
- ‘The Blackening’ Sequel Is Happening: Here’s What We Know
- ‘Authentic’ Was The Word Of The Year In 2023, According to Merriam-Webster
- SZA, Usher Atop The Soul Train Awards 2023 Winners’ List
Issa Rae Credits Nipsey Hussle For Mending Her Relationship With Lauren London was originally published on wzakcleveland.com
Rest In Power: Notable Black Folks Who We’ve Lost In 2023
Washed Crooner Aaron Hall Getting Dragged For All The Filth After Rape Accusation With Diddy
Snoop Dogg Sends Social Media Ablaze After Declaring He’s Giving Up Smoking
25 Best Black Christmas Movies Of All Time
GOTCHA! Snoop Dogg’s Declaration Of “Giving Up Smoke” Is Just To Promote Smokeless Fire Pit Brand
Former WNBA Star Kysre Gondrezick Denies Claims Kevin Porter Jr. Abused Her: “He Didn’t Hit Me… That Is A Lie.”
Will Smith Allegedly Got Busy With Duane Martin, According To Former Assistant
Bad, Bad Boy: Cassie Files Lawsuit On Diddy For Years Of Alleged Sexual And Physical Abuse