Within a week of BET’s The Quad second season première, the network canceled the show.

A drama set at a fictional Black college starring Anika Noni Rose as its president will not have a third season, according to Deadline. The show followed Dr. Eva Fletcher, played by  Rose, as the newly elected president of Georgia A&M University. Ruben Santiago-Hudson, Sean Blakemore and Jasmine Guy join the show as well.

Created by Felicia D. Henderson and Charles Holland, The Quad first aired February 1, 2017. The second season premiered January 23 and ended on March 27.

Between the first and second season, ratings for the show dropped. When looking at the 18-49 demographics, the show’s second season dropped off significantly according to ratings by Nielson.

The Quad ending follows the end of BET’s show Being Mary Jane, which only lasted four seasons. It will wrap up its fourth season storylines in two-hour finale.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

BET has not gotten out of the scripted television arena, though. Their new president, Scott Mills announced three new shows this week. A writer and producing team on Boomerang have not yet been determined. The 10-episode, half-hour comedy hails from corporate sibling Paramount Television.

Like the original, it revolves around a successful executive who finds that his lifestyle choices have turned back on him when his new boss turns out to be a bigger deviant that he is. It’s described as an updated version that explores contemporary workplace dynamics, including the changing role of gender, office politics, relationships and the conflicts between Generation X and millennials.

American Soul is inspired by the personal trials and professional successes of a young, ambitious and troubled impresario, Don Cornelius. The 10-episode drama is an unflinching look at the entrepreneur, his Soul Train dancers, crew and musicians in a cutthroat Hollywood in the 1970s and how they work, play, rise and fall against the backdrop of the show most responsible for the way African-American culture was perceived by the world.

Jesse Collins, Jonathan Prince and Devon Greggory executive produce. Don’s son, Tony Cornelius, will co-exec produce alongside Andy Horne. Greggory will pen the pilot and Jesse Collins Entertainment will produce.

Packer’s 10-episode comedy Peachtree Place follows five 30-somethings living in Atlanta as they try to build professional and personal lives they can be proud of, but the one thing they don’t have keeps impeding their progress: love. Unresolved feelings from college are uncovered and secrets revealed, forcing these friends to finally deal with uncomfortable truths about each other. Packer exec produces; Felischa Marye will pen the series and co-exec produce; Will Packer Media’s Sheila Ducksworth will also serve as a co-EP.”

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

(Source: Deadline)

(Photo Credit: YouTube)

Find Out What Your Fav Celebs Did On Instagram This Week (02/02-02/08)

29 thoughts on “BET’s ‘The Quad’ Is Canceled But BET Has New Shows On The Way

1. Edward Barnett on said:

I am devastated that The Quad has been canceled. Having graduated from an HBCU, I thoroughly related and believed that The Quad was entertaining and relevant. BET should cancel those ridiculous shows: Black Card Revoked; Robin Thede; that Black man show. Hopefully, BET will reconsider canceling The Quad, and not cancel In Contempt, which is another good program, too!

2. This is one of best shows on BET. Reality is okay and inexpensive. BET is owned by Viacom. They should have plenty of money to keep this show on. They should be ashamed of themselves. Calling them and bull crap on this.

3. Adrienne58 on said:

Unbelievable…this show is so relevant. It’s a shame we can’t keep good TV programming on. We’re stuck with ratchet reality TV.

4. ks kim on said:

WHAT THE HELL!!!!! MAN SO SAD TO HEAR THIS! LOVE THE QUAD, THIS IS SOME BULLSHIT I FELT LIKE THEY WOULD COME STRONGER WHEN THEY CAME BACK, SO MUCH STORY LINE HERE, MUCH ON LIKE DIFFERENT WORLD, THEY’RE BOTH GOOD SHOWS WITH A REAL DOSE OF REALITY……. WE MIGHT HAVE TO WAKANDA THIS YALL!!! LOL
    MUCH LOVE #SAVE THE QUAD YALL! 😦

5. Very disappointing to find out that the Quad has been cancelled! It appears the writers wrote themselves in a corner by allowing “GAMU” to be bought out; President being put out; and, allowing the burning down (burn out) of the historical building in the last episode! I’m done!

6. Himmm…I’m reading a lot of “spoiler alerts” here. I guess it doesn’t matter now since the show has been canceled. I love the show and it is certainly different from the usual fare on TV, black or white. I missed a few episodes and was trying to catch up! My On-Demand” is out, and unfortunately, the BET app and YouTube, etc., make you pay to see the episodes. Nonetheless–
    I was shocked to hear that The Quad was canceled! As a proud HBCU alum, I thought the story lines were relevant (although not necessarily “true” as the earlier protests against the show presumed), and the show was definitely different and more refreshing than the usual shows on BET. It actually P’s me off that shows (eg., The Quad on BET and News One Now on TV One) that cause one to “think” a little higher get canceled, as the excuses are due to ” low ratings” or “budget cuts” while there are so many other crappy shows on that need to go! I wish another network could pick it up. 😦

7. Weezie70 on said:

Kates1221, A Different World was based on one feautured color characters and i was not hardly boring. That show was very educational and enlightening. Many brown youths when to college just because of this show. We need more shows like A Different World, not shows that features many sexual scenes. Maybe thats why this show didnt last.

• It A Different World Show was based on African American characters, however, the show also featured characters of other races such as Gilbert Gottfried and Nestor Carbonell, who is one of my favorite actors. And you are absolutely correct it wasn’t boring.

8. Hopefully, they will give us an ending like they are doing Being Mary Jane. I really liked the show, but this is the reason why my TV watching has dwindled down to a mere 5% per week (I gave up cable, and haven’t used the Firestick since Christmas). I have about 5 shows that I like, and they are in seasons 4 and beyond. I will watch those, but will not engage in no more new ones. I will stick to the movies and at least know there will be an ending. In terms of the new ones they are offering, you can keep them….NONE of them sound interesting anyway!!!! I think it’s time for me to get back to reading books.

9. I loved watching this show. However, I began to notice that the story line was getting weaker each episode. This is sad because the pilot episode was very strong. There was nothing that motivated me to continue watching the show outside of most of the college kids being black at a HBCU. There were some pivotal moments in the show, but I don’t believe enough effort was put into the marketing and development of the show.

10. Perry on said:

I agree with most of the comments on advertising, but I was a fan of the show as well. I was looking forward to next season to see what happened with the merger and if the President would have been reinstated after being fired.

11. POWERFUL VOICE FOR youth awareness…and love message on anger mgmt , drug addiction etc…Plzzxz give this show another chancemnger

12. ROBIN NEALY-BROWN on said:

I REALLY LOVE THE QUAD. I THINK YOU COULD HAVE BETTER PROMOTED THE SHOW AND LEAVE THE SHOW ON LONG ENOUGH FOR THE VIEWERS TO CATCH ON. I ONLY HEARD ABOUT THE QUAD ON TOM JOYNER AND I THANK GOD FOR HIM. I WISH THEY COME BACK EVEN IF THEY COME BACK ON ANOTHER NETWORK. IT WAS REAL INTERESTING AND REAL LIFE. BRING IT BACK BET. I AM LIKE THE OTHER GUY, YOU HAVE A LOT OF SHOWS THAT REALLY NEED TO HIT THE DOOR. SMH!!!!

13. shirley davis on said:

Sorry to hear this. I was really into the show showing college life in a HBCU. I really feel not enough advertising was given, I had to keep looking for its premiere to when it was to begin. I hope maybe another network will pick it up..

14. T.Miller on said:

It was the marketing of the show’s return that gave it the low ratings for the second season. This should be reconsidered, I believe it was so positive on the current issues of what is going on now and giving great feed back on what and how to take care of matters as they come. Don’t let this particular show be picked up by another Network because of a bad decisions on getting the word out of the show’s return. Reconsider on a third season…. Please- Thank you.

15. LyriCah on said:

Oh hell no!!!! I love “The Quad” and watched every Tuesday along with “Black Lightning”… I’m hurt…. All my Sista’s & Brotha’s rise up together…. hmmmm mmmm mmmm

16. Tanisha on said:

I guess me and my dad were the only 2 people that liked this show. I didn’t think they needed the white characters on the show, but nonetheless it was a good show…to me and my father:-)

• Having “white characters” on the show has nothing to do with the show being canceled. The story and plot lines became weak and boring. Why would anyone what to watch a show featuring characters of only one race? Now THAT would be boring.

• Youdontknowwhoiamhaha on said:

I agree Kates1221 race had nothing to do with it. I loved that show. Everytime we have a good black show it get cut from the schedule. I thought ABC, CBS, ETC was just cancelling black shows. BET come on. That show showed how black children are educated in the college world. I think they should have gotten rid of the sassy ass daughter. I never liked her in MY WIFE AND KIDS. She is not a good actress. Leave THE QUAD alone BET!!!!! Take off that Robin Thede, Black card revoked, and all that other bullshit!!! Maybe another channel will pick it up. I like that they had Noki’s character on pills and the actor Rueben was gonna kick dude ass.

• Tanisha on said:

Kate1221 I didn’t say that race was the reason for the show being cancelled, I just commented on what I thought was unnecessary in this show. This is a show about an HBCU. In case you haven’t noticed there are nothing but shows that focus on one race, always has been and nobody mentions how boring that is. That’s why a station like BET was needed. I’m going to miss the Quad regardless.