A lot of folks are not happy with Raven Symone in the wake of her reposting a pic (above) with harsh comments about some of the biggest names in hip hop.

The photo (re-posted over the weekend) featured industry heavyweights such as Jay Z, Diddy, T.I., Steve Stoute and others at the Roc Nation Grammy party last week. Like we said, her comment about it was not complimentary, to say the least.

“A group of so called ‘successful’ black men who became rich and famous through perpetuating the worst black stereotypes to the ears and eyes of the entire planet…” the caption read. Symoné has since deleted the post.

She came back to social media later to double down and defend her original post. Here’s what she has to say via her Instagram.

“Deleted my post because the comments were not something I want my underage followers looking at. I’m not deleting because I don’t believe in what I said.”

Well, you won’t be surprised to learn that Trey Songz and T.I. wasted no time in clapping back at the Disney star. But, surprisingly, theytook the high road!

Not too surprisingly, for her effort, she earned a “Donkey of the Day” salute, so to speak, from Charlamagne Tha God on the Breakfast Club show this morning.

READ MORE STORIES ON BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM:

GET THE HOTTEST STORIES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX:

(Associated Press)

43 thoughts on “Raven Symone IG Post Targets Jay Z, Diddy As Pimps & Drug Dealers

1. Passing Through!! on said:

I bet half the JACK ASSES making comments watch or have watched t.v. shows like Empire and Power. How about New Jack City and Menace to Society, Harlem Nights, Tupak & Biggie stories some of the most successful movies and t.v. shows perpetrate the worst in our community and who support these shows/movies mostly made and produced by whites…we do. White kids are the biggest consumers of hip-hop music. And whites are currently in an Opioid crisis being compared to the Aids crises of the early 80’s I guess we can blame the black rappers and drug dealers for that too. But like DUMB white media consuming ni**as do painting the picture of the black drug dealer standing outside the elementary school selling drugs to black kids.

2. Mac Daddy on said:

A strong black woman is one that has the fortitude to speak the truth when all others want her to shut up because she is putting out our skeletons. You go Raven. Ignore the haters, they ruin our communities by defending thugs, criminals, and race pimps. Sad.

• African American Woman on said:

The willful stupidity,ignorance and plain brainleslness of some black folk is utterly appalling! Raven spoke facts, not something she made up. What she pointed out; everything can be verified and proven. The same jackasses that complain about how badly the white man victimizes them are defending these fools that have no regard for their own people, own communities, own women, etc…are you kidding me? I can’t believe that people on her are attacking her looks, career and sexuality because she spoke the truth! There are some black people that are an absolute embarrassment to our race…our anscestors did not suffer for fools that down us to make a fortune from the same jackasses that have nothing.

3. specialt757 on said:

Hmmm interesting comments. I don’t mind what she said because it was true at one time. She does appear to be passing judgement on these people and you know how it goes, when you live in a glass house, don’t throw stones. It’s easy to sit back and say these things and offer nothing in the way that these men were ONCE this way, but no longer. There is no credit given to their humanitarian or philanthropic contributions. I agree with everyone’s comment below, there is truth in all of them.
    I am quite embarrassed when I’m listening to the radio and I hear some of the lyrics and that’s not just from yester-years that’s from today as well. These people don’t even try to formulate a complete sentence. They say something ignorant and it catches like fire and sticks like glue. For example, I heard this song and it sickens me every time it comes on, the stupid woman says “prah-lem” instead of “problem”, and another stupid girl says “deez espinsiv’ jesus bloody shoes” at least that’s what it sounds like. Pure f-n ignorance, and I wouldn’t want them to be role models for anyone. That’s the world we live in today, willing to except anything and it’s costing us EVERYTHING.
    P.S. I have no animosity towards any of these people she mentioned, I’m not perfect and I don’t expect them to be.

4. Blacqunk on said:

While we are judging others for their past indiscretions. Let’s first look at the companies that made their money off the backs of slaves. Let me name a few: Aetna, Brook Brothers JP Morgan, Wachovia. These companies are still around today, any many of us use these companies. Google “15 Major Companies that Made Their Money from Slavery”. But, I guess we can forgive them, but no our own.

• Passing Through!! on said:

And whites are still exploiting black culture today the new film Black Panther is directed and made by white people shows like The Wire created by a white man. Tommy Hilfiger back in the day Timberland boots all exploit black culture. So why is it wrong for blacks to make money and become rich off of their own culture that the white man is getting rich off of every day.

5. Strong Black Woman on said:

Raven Simone’, why did you delete your picture????!!!! You know those BROTHERS WILL EAT YOUR ASS UP IN THEIR RFESPONSES. Little girl go and sit her ass down. YOU have NO CAREER, got KICKED off “The View”. Get a life. It seems that every since YOU came out of the closet things have went downhill for YOU. Haven’t been in any new movies. Take all of that DAMN color out of you hair and look like a human being an maybe you will get offers FOR JOBS.

• Passing Through!! on said:

That’s why she got fired from the View continuously saying stupid s**t and most of the time it’s something self black hating toward the black community. I remember when she came out with Oprah she said she doesn’t want to be labeled BLACK or GAY, and I was like bi**h please that’s the very first thing white society will notice you for. She’s like Tyrese every time she opens her mouth I’m reminded why she’s unemployed.

6. I understand both side. We as blacks all live different lives and do not think one way nor live one way . This is Raven truth just like TI and those are speaking their truth.

7. La Marr D on said:

Stop the BS!!! Since the mid-90’s, hip hop music has degraded black women in every conceivable way. Raven has only stated the obvious. It is unfortunate her sexual orientation is being attacked because she is telling the truth. Black women are the only group of women not protected.

8. Passing Through!! on said:

I’m on the fence with this whole issue I can see Raven’s point to a small degree but what about these women who are readily available to be used by these rappers what about industry ho’s like Kim Kardashian, Amber Rose, Black China who have benefited financially from being open proud ho’s. And even after Kim K. has elevated herself to the A list she’s still on social media doing ho s**t, married with 3 children daughters and still selling pu**y posting naked pictures. IG, Twitter and Snapchat is full of nothing but THOTS selling ass or trying to get the attention of some dumb rich man, ball player or rapper. What about the white record label owners who gave these young poor black men lucrative recording contracts and a platform to be heard. What black man living in poverty under the veil of racism, racial unjust, police brutality and crime would turn down an opportunity to be famous, rich and feed their family? I have to disagree that black men rapping truth about their environment, crime or drugs is exploitation of the black community. I mean if that’s the world you live in then hell that what it is. Ice Cube’s Death Certificate was on the greatest rap albums of all times, he’s speaks of police brutality, racism, the unjust racism of black men in the legal system, STD’s safe sex. The delivery of his message was raw but a great message none the less. NWA was one of the first rap groups to shed light on police brutality and racial profiling even before the Rodney King beating. Again, the delivery of their message was RAW and think that’s where people get lost.
    +++++
    White people have been exploiting black culture for years everything from our music, clothes, style Miley Cyrus twerking, David Simon white man who produced “The Wire.” How many Koreans own hair and nail shops in the hood? Whites are the biggest consumers of rap music. Why is it wrong for black people to make money off of our culture.

• Melvinowens on said:

“why is it wrong to make money off our culture”-pimping and drug dealing is not my culture. I was raised by people that taught me to value education and I am black

9. Redemption is a wonderful thing….when people let it be so. Certainly things two have history as does almost every successful businessman in America. I believe it was J. Paul Getty (once one of the richest men in the world) who said, “behind every success there is a crime.” I understand that it might be more hurtful in that it exists in our community, nonetheless, it does exist. I don’t think either of them have tried to hide where they come from. The fact that they are trying to do something positive, today, is what should now matter. Unforgiveness and a hardening of heart is what is keeping people who have served their time and now want to move on with their lives and is a major cause of people not being able to become a viable individual in society. He who is without sin let him cast the first stone.

10. It’s well known in black culture when our low down dirty deeds are aired publicly it’s frowned upon, even when aired by the perpetrator! These men have transformed their lives and are paying it forward as they should.

• How are they paying forward? I have not heard of anything they have done beside Sean Combs donating money to his former college. The number of brothers in this photo could do a lot for the black community.

11. Raven’s comments may include some “truth”…not sure why she felt the need to “remind” the world of the past. On face value…it seems she is exercising her right to speak her mind….reading between the lines, I see a C-rated actress who had her “15 min of fame” when she was Olivia on the Cosby show. It’s really sad that for some people the only way they can get “noticed” by the media is by posting negative things about others.
    Come on people…we have got to do better!

12. African American Woman on said:

What did Raven Symone say that was so wrong? What she posted was true…rappers are notorious for using derogatory language towards women, the use of the n word and more profanity than anyone needs to hear…

• Passing Through!! on said:

And that’s your Bulllshit generalization of rap music. Pubic Enemy, The Fugees, Common, KRS-1 Queen Latifa, have taught the generations to be pimps and gangsters….GTFOH!

• Melvinowens on said:

Conveniently, you leave out Truck daddy who made I’m a thug, and other gangster rappers who glorify crime in the community

• ResponsibilityInControl on said:

Post was very true, they have gained wealth based on black on black crime, drug selling, treating women in some of the most disrespectful ways! And they cannot deny it so they come back with some copy and pasted inspirational quote….GTFOH. Post was very true.

• Passing Through!! on said:

Stereotyping ALL rap music as teaching kids to be pimps and gangsters….GTFOH!!!

13. Passing Through! on said:

I partially agree with Raven but let her not forget that she’s a black lesbian who is also judged & frowned upon. A lot of so called Christian folk don’t approve of her lifestyle either.

• I don’t think Raven would give a rat’s ass about any of them being gay, or what Christians would think about their lifestyle. Her being gay isn’t hurting anyone. Can you say the same for the lifestyle of a pimp, a gangbanger, murderer or a drug dealer?

• Passing Through!! on said:

Like I don’t give a rats ass about what you think. The point I was trying to make is how can she say that rappers are being a bad influence while she herself as a gay black woman carries a stigma over her head. How often are gays ridiculed, ostracized or accused of setting a bad example and being a bad influence on children or spreading AIDS? The same way you feel being gay doesn’t hurt anyone many can argue the same about music, video games or movies. Do children watch The Rock, or Bruce Willis in an action film and go pick up a gun and kill people and blow up stuff because the see it a movie. When the white kids go shoot up the elementary school or the movie theater does society ever point the finger back at white violent movies or the white actors? The stuff these rappers rap about goes on every day and trust me most kids are not strangers to the lyrics they hear. You think these kids who live in the hood and inner cities don’t know what the f**k goes on in their own backyard. The real gangsters is the white man who manufactured the drug, crack and gun epidemic in the black community dating back to the early 80”s which in turn created the environment for the pimps, gangsters and drug dealers LONG before rap music. The true pimps are sitting in the White House destroying our economy, pimping the poor and helping rich white billionaires get richer, using Gerrymandering tactics to help get white racist elected to inflict even further damage on the poor and black community while playing nuclear chicken with Korea. The attack on the black community started long before rap music.

• Maybe, but I’ve never seen a white man standing at the fence of a black elementary school offering free drugs to children under the age of 12, trying to get them to sample drugs as a way to get them hooked and keep them that way so they never have to worry about loyal workers. No. That would be us. Say what you want, any way you want to say it. Blame whomever you want to blame. White, black, brown or red. The path of death destruction left in the wake of these “bidnezzmen” on the way to their lives of privilege and wealth will be felt long after we leave this earth. As far as rap music goes, I don’t remember ever even mentioning it.

• Passing Through!! on said:

+++++++++
        Nah the white man isn’t standing at the fence because he’s the one flying the drugs into this country to get distributed into the black community, he’s the one who brings the drugs into the country in the first place, and passing laws that gives black men/boys more time in jail for crack versus cocaine and will give a white felon a job before a college educated black man. But as usual you never see any wrong with whitey but always quick to attack black.

• And who is distributing the drugs that the white man is dropping from the sky throughout our communities, right into the hands of our children? That’s my problem. I don’t care who’s making it rain. Let me put this way. If aliens came flying down from the sky dropping poison piss pellets into the country and our enterprising young bidnezz entrepreneurs decided to get the children of the neighborhood to suck them down, knowing full well what would happen when they did, because they could make money doing it, I wouldn’t blame the aliens. I’d blame the dealers. I don’t care what color they are.

14. Ted Gravely on said:

Why does she get the hate? You can google these men if you don’t know. Here is what Snoop said about himself in the past: When Snoop Dogg called himself a “pimp” back in 2003, he wasn’t joking. “I put an organization together,” the rapper-turned Rasta artist Snoop Lion tells contributing editor Jonah Weiner in the new issue of Rolling Stone. “I did a Playboy tour, and I had a bus follow me with ten bitches on it. I could fire a bitch, fuck a bitch, get a new ho: It was my program. City to city, titty to titty, hotel room to hotel room, athlete to athlete, entertainer to entertainer.” These men proudly proclaimed these “achievements” so why come down on a woman for reposting the truth?

• She gets the hate because she told the truth and the truth hurts. Especially when it involves our heroes. The men and women whom we’ve celebrated, elevated and made into icons.