A Dallas traffic reporter is receiving support and praise for the way she handled an angry viewer on social media. Was the viewer late for work because of an erroneous travel report? Well, no. The viewer was so upset by the way reporter Demetria Obilor was dressed that she said she’d no longer watch the news.  Her catty Facebook post was captured by another user, who gave it the perfect caption:

NBC News reports:

Obilor, 26, has been a traffic reporter at the station for two weeks. She was previously a traffic reporter at KLAS-TV in Las Vegas. She said she wasn’t made aware of the post until Friday when someone posted a screenshot of the post on Twitter.

“I’m not a 16/18, but even if I was, for you to try to call out my size like that to hurt me or discriminate against me, I’m not for that,” she told NBC News.

Having been in the business almost four years, she said she isn’t hurt by the comments and has thick skin.

“When you get older and you’re in the news people warn you that, ‘Hey, you’re going to be under a harsh lens. People are going to critique you, people are going to say mean things about you,'” she said.

This isn’t the first time Obilor has been attacked over her looks. Over the summer, while a traffic reporter in Las Vegas, she shared a screenshot of an email from a viewer who said her natural hairstyle must be hard to clean and “smell bad.”

Obilor isn’t alone. Rhonda Lee, a former meteorologist in Louisiana was fired for responding to a viewer who said her natural hairstyle didn’t “look good on TV.”

Obilor, whose mother is white and father is Nigerian, said some people must accept that we now live in a time where styles and body types once rarely seen in media are now being embraced.

“Black people on TV; there’s nothing wrong with that,” she said. “Naturally, curly hair — I don’t care if a black woman wants to wear her hair straight or in braids, you don’t get to say what’s professional and what’s not professional based on your white standard of beauty.”

Obilor has long had a fanbase on YouTube where her traffic video are highlighted as #TrafficBae

Jan has since left Facebook, according to the original poster.

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Share your email below to receive our daily newsletter!

33 thoughts on “Dallas TV Reporter Gracefully Responds To Viewer Who Criticized Her Body

1. AAW – you are what psychologists call a self-hating black person. You attack your own race as if they are responsible for your issues. Look in the mirror and you will find who is responsible for all your issues

• African American Woman on said:

And your what farmers call a sheep. A mindless bleating animal that follows other sheep to their death because they don’t have the capacity to think for themselves. You call me self-hating because I am able to think and form my own independent thoughts and you and people like you hate that because you don’t have the ability to do so.

2. knowledge on said:

She is a distraction. She is a DNA female. No Need to wear a body dress to a place of work. Save that outfit for after work .you can’t get upset when men at work look at u n a sexual way. It’s only natural for a straight man to love eye candy and I bet u she over does it with the perfume.

3. She is an attractive woman. But, I think her dress does display an overemphasis of her physique. For some viewers, that can be a distraction and it’s a legitimate complaint. It can come across as too sexual. And, I’ve also noticed the trend with news anchors and celebrities. Everyone is suddenly voluptuous and super curvy, as if that’s a statement or symbol of sexiness and womanhood. There seems to be a lot of effort in trying to achieve this hourglass figure. Personally, I think she could tone it down a bit. I’m not sure of her purpose of wearing a body dress at work.

4. leadjustone on said:

What the heck is there to criticize? She is absolutely gorgeous! As the Commodores said back in the day “a brick house”! Everybody’s not supposed to be a stick figure.

5. That’s a fine woman.Women always bitching. They need to take heed and start making themselves looking prettier each day.
    You don’t have to have her body but you can least start looking good instead of looking like you’re 60 or 70 years old and you’re only 30. No wonder you can’t get a husband 😂 lol

6. Christianforreal on said:

You are correct, specialt757, I totally agree!! Not defending Jan’s words , but maybe we should heed her words. Have you noticed the trend recently? Seems most TV news personalities wear super snug dresses. You don’t even see pants much on the females, especially if they are standing in front of the camera. And they are usually outfitted in very tight clothing, with low necklines. All aren’t as voluptuous as this young lady is, but why do we have to see every kink, pimple ans cellulite that these females have? Did no one teach them to leave something for your man and even then he gets to imagine nothing. Everything is there in full detail. I believe it’s all a part of our society’s disrespect for itself. Scripture tells us that you do not have to be totally without clothes to be naked!!!! These women are naked and bare and have no modesty and seemingly, little respect for themselves.

7. americanize on said:

@AAW You have two black parents,shame on ur mama and ur papa should have pulled out.You clamed to be black and agree with idiots like hobo larry,you aint fooling me,like I said if ur black which ur not,you are a coon.Now kill yourself.

• African American Woman on said:

Well, based on your grammar and spelling; one thing is for sure; you’re educationally challenged. Maybe your mama shouldn’t have smoked crack while she was pregnant with you…I would speak on your daddy, but rumor has it that the zoo she screwed him at is now closed down.

• americanize on said:

Well based on my grammer and spelling,you understood every fu*kin word.There is a web site you can go on,stormfront,forechan,reddit or fox news.Now like I said now kill yourself.

• African American Woman on said:

Go get your GED and some therapy…that crack your mom smoked did a number on the few functioning brain cells you had. People with low intelligence are always so overly angry…sweetheart, your failures are really not my fault, but I’ll pray for you.

• African American Woman on said:

Well, I don’t know any white supremacists, but this black woman has no pity for you; just you lack of grammar and spelling skills.

• americanize on said:

Ok it is what it is.Since you want to play black,I,ll call you African American Coon.And trust me,you understand every grammer and spelling.

8. specialt757 on said:

@ Christianforreal, I can’t call it as to what Jan’s real motives may have been, but looking at her comment, race was not a factor. Criticism is not always received well, however, Jan should have found a better way to address her “disgust” and not done in such a public and hateful or nasty way. Perhaps a private message to Ms. Obilor would have been given some serious consideration had she not gone on the “attack” of her character.

9. Christianforreal on said:

Yes, Black has always been considered to be the dominant gene, however is that White bred or is it actual scientific fact???? But people let’s be honest; Demetria is a very attractive young lady, Black, White, Red or Purple. Her color shouldn’t be an issue. The way she covers her size is the issue and no matter how cute she is. she is too big for the clothes and styles she wears and while Jan may not look like her, Jan does have a point. Do we, and we definitely should, have pride in our selves. Have we no shame??? Just because someone made it doesn’t mean we have to squeeeeeeeze ourselves into it.!!!

10. Jan is about as jealous of Demetria as that triflin’, nasty skank at U of Hartford was of Chennel when she called her “Jamaican Barbie.”

• specialt757 on said:

Yes, Jan drank her hater-aid for breakfast, probably should have had slim fast instead, skank bitch. She’s just mad because she’s not as beautiful as Ms. Obilor.

11. Nothing for Demetria to apologize for (and from what I can see much to be proud of) and I’m glad she didn’t.Why does that ignorant white bitch care so much since she’s obviously a Foxbot who only
    watches news stories that lean toward her own mias?

• specialt757 on said:

good observation Epitome, good observation. If people had to pay for being stupid there would be a whole lot less stupidity in our world. It’s a darn shame everything easy is free.

• Heyyou!!!! on said:

She’s not black and white like a friggin zebra. she is of mixed race. and with a body like that yep she’s black!. Do it sistah!!! fuck that hater with the flat ass, no tits or hips. she is sooo jealous that her husband get to look at you everyday and wish his wife could look like you. Your body is bangin sistah…

• americanize on said:

Heyyou you knocked this one out the park.Demitria is fine as wine.Jan is a white supremacist hater.And AAW is a white supremacist troll.

• African American Woman on said:

You ignorant jackass…I am black because I have 2 black parents…when someone has parents of diferrent races, they are mixed-not one over thr other. We are the only people who do this…but then since you dont seem too bright, I’m not surprised you don’t recognize this.

• specialt757 on said:

“We are the only people who do this” “We” didn’t do this to us, white folks did. They made it so anything mixed with black is black, it’s a shame you don’t know this.

• African American Woman on said:

What are we? Puppets for the white man? Ever think that maybe its time we think for ourselves??? New concept, huh?

• African American Woman on said:

Waaaahhhh, waaaaaahhh, waaaaaaahhhhhhh…I knew someone on the victim wagon would show up…I’ve been stopped by the police, my son has been stopped by the police…many people I know have bee, stopped by the police and not one person, including myself, has ever cried racism (maybe speeding discrimination) when pulled over. I stop, am polite, give my information, hope they don’t give me a ticket (gasp! Sometimes they let this black woman go with just a warning…can you believe those racist cops!?!) Maybe its your victim mentality that has you inserting your blackness as a negative in every situation…