UPDATE: Newton has apologized for the comments that cost him an endorsement deal.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Dannon, the maker of Oikos yogurt, cut ties with spokesman Cam Newton on Thursday following what the company perceives as “sexist” comments the Carolina quarterback made to a female reporter.

Company spokesperson Michael Neuwirth released a statement saying it was “shocked and disheartened” at the former league MVP’s behavior and comments toward Jourdan Rodrigue, a Charlotte Observer reporter.

When Rodrigue asked Newton about wide receiver Devin Funchess’ route running Wednesday, Newton laughed and said, “It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes. It’s funny.”

The Dannon statement noted the company perceives Newton’s comments as “sexist and disparaging to all women. … It’s simply not ok to belittle anyone based on gender. We have shared our concerns with Cam and will no longer work with him.”

Newton didn’t immediate issue an apology.

He was sitting at his locker Thursday on his phone, but declined comment through the team’s public relations staff.

The NFL released a statement on Wednesday saying that Newton’s response to the question was “just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists who cover our league.”

But it doesn’t appear there will be any punishment handed out to Newton.

“I think there are conversations going on at the club level with the appropriate people, with the Panthers,” NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said in a conference call Thursday. “I don’t want to anticipate the league stepping in there.”

Panthers coach Ron Rivera addressed the situation briefly during his press conference Thursday, saying, “I think Cam made a mistake. I understand he had a conversation where he pretty much said he shouldn’t have said, what he said.”

Rodrigue issued a statement Wednesday evening saying she and Newton did speak after the news conference, but said the quarterback didn’t apologize for his remarks.

Rodrigue was back in the locker room on Thursday, flanked by Mike Persinger, the executive sports editor of The Charlotte Observer.

She issued an apology herself on Thursday after coming under fire for using a racial slur in tweets she posted about four years ago. The tweets were first reported by BlackSportsOnline.com.

“I apologize for the offensive tweets form my Twitter account from 4/5 years ago,” Rodrigue said on her Twitter account. “There is no excuse for these tweets and the sentiment behind them. I am deeply sorry and apologize.”

Rodrigue was a college student at Arizona State at the time of the tweets. When asked about the tweets, Persinger said “she has owned them and apologized for them.”

Newton’s teammate Thomas Davis said he doesn’t think the issue will affect the team as it prepares for the game against Detroit on Sunday.

“He’s going to have to deal with that moving forward,” Davis said of Newton. “I feel like it’s a situation he’s going to handle and he’s going to handle it well. But for us as a football team we’ll remain focused on Detroit.”

Persinger said Wednesday evening that Newton’s comments were “unfortunate and out of line.”

The Associated Press Sports Editors announced that it “agrees wholeheartedly that Mr. Newton’s response was out of line” and “we ask for a formal apology to Jourdan Rodrigue from Mr. Newton and the Carolina Panthers organization.”

Rodrigue had to issue her own apology after racist tweets were unearthed.

According to tweets captured by Black Sports Online,  Rodrigue laughed at others’ racism and re-tweeted the n-word, albeit in reference to a white person.

In one tweet, she referred to a comedian as “the best. Racist jokes the whole drive home,” and in another she retweeted an account that screamed in all caps, “the earth moves at 450+ mph, that’s 10 times triller than NASCAR Dale Earnharts a bitch n**ga.”

BSO also screen-captured a third tweet in which Rodrigue says her father is “being super racist.”

AP Sports Writer Barry Wilner contributed to this report.

Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Share your email below to receive our daily newsletter!

27 thoughts on “Dannon Fires Cam Newton Over ‘Sexist’ Comments; He Apologizes

1. Tanisha on said:

What Cam said was ignorant not sexist. I am a woman who gets this same reaction from men because I like sports. But don’t you realize that if there is a reporter who is asking an individual a question on a specific subject wouldn’t that mean that the person is knowledgeable about the subject? Cam acted like this was the very first time he heard a woman talk about sports. What did he think she was in the room for? This is what makes him ignorant which can be equal to being sexist.

• Sorry but I do not think many women are upset (I do not think most women even care for those who did hear about his comment), we take the so called upset of a FEW people to make you think many people were upset. Some women in all group may even agree with him. He might have said it at a bad time but it was NOT a sexist comment in my book. He did not say she could not know or do sports. That would then be sexiest.

2. Passing Through!! on said:

I agree, as a female I wasn’t offended by Cam’s comments. I think this is a back lash for all the black players protesting. Maybe he shouldn’t have said what he said on camera but that wasn’t a fire-able offence, he shouldn’t lose endorsements over that. When I heard all of the up roar I thought he called the lady a b**ch the way the media was carrying on. The league will make an example out of him, simply because he’s black. They’ve always had a bias against Cam.45 talks about grabbing women in the pu**y and got elected president, overwhelming by white women voters. Apologize Cam and keep moving.

• specialt757 on said:

I was kind of upset that he apologized until I actually saw the video clip. I believe he was sincere because he spoke at length about how he felt and how he is seen by others and that he disappointed himself. So I get it. The comment wasn’t a smart idea but it definitely wasn’t mean spirited like I’ve heard from others or rise to the level of termination or a fine (if any). I damn sure wasn’t offended, she needs to be held accountable for her racist tweets and I don’t care if they were 4 or 5 years ago, like that makes a difference. How dare she be offended by that lil crap he said, put his ass in his place and keep it moving and then the next time he will think twice.

• Passing Through!! on said:

Amen, how dare her racist ass be offended and probably voted for trump. Because she’s a white woman and Cam is a black man they want to make her a damsel in distress. I bet she didn’t think those tweet would come back and bite her. No trump supporter should be offended by this.

3. Wow….what is so sexist about what Cam said? What sort of a totally overwrought nerveball do you have to be to get so outraged over something that probably not many people even think of as sexist? Cute flirtation, possibly? Or is that off limits to our Orwellian press, our moral teachers? I have a suggestion to those who are so inflamed by something that shouldn’t even be commented on or reacted to: grow the hell up and stop trying to teach us all what is right and wrong. Also, are women really this weak, that they have to, must, overreact to anything that can possible be perceived as sexist? Or are they all just little puppets being managed by deeply disturbed feminists?

• It would never have occurred to me to think anything about what he said, just as it would never occur to me to think anything negative about someone who said a man talking about eyeshadow is funny. I just don’t get it. The only thing I noticed when I saw the clip was how much of a doofus he looked like. He sounded stupid not because of what he said, but how he looked saying it. To be fired over such a non issue is just strange. There has to be something else brewing. Now for the big ass elephant in the room. How will she be dealt with after her statements were resurrected from the social media graveyard?

• specialt757 on said:

Dang, really? I’m shocked to hear you say that. Lil Miss offended thang-thang needs to be dealt with because of her clearly racist tweets. But I have not heard one peep about that, I guess “sexist” remarks outweigh racist remarks any day of the week except if you’re a black woman, then no one gives a damn.

4. I am a female and I was not offended. He was surprise like a lot when it comes to knowing football. I LOVE the Cowboys and when my boyfriend first met me and knew I liked sports, He was shock and joked with me. He did not do out to be sexist but to be surprise due to it being a sport mostly of men who like it. I get the same feeling about Cam comment. To me, it would be no different if a man say ‘I am going help dress and find dolls for these girls”. Come on now, we as women would look at this guy with a “side eye”. Is that being sexist from women? We have to stop being over sensetative and use logic to each case.

• specialt757 on said:

Amber, my husband is a huge college football fan and has always been, he likes the NFL also but he doesn’t favor a specific team just players, like he was crazy about Cam. He can sit on the sofa all freakin’ day on Saturday during football season and every blue moon I will watch it with him and root for his team or sometimes not. But over the years I became more intrigued and started asking more about plays and etc. so now when we are watching together I say things about the game and he is actually shocked that I paid that much attention and I can speak the lingo. But I definitely don’t think he’s sexist because of his reaction.
      I thought about this lady’s reaction and thought about myself at the same time, maybe I do have thin skin and am easily offended (about certain things, not this). However, I don’t hesitate to back you down if your over-step your bounds and asking for an apology would not be my criteria. As a matter of fact, he would be calling for me to apologize lol.

5. If the president can say what he says and feels deep down and get away with, Cam should be able too! I say boycott Dannon and the NFL. We live in a racist country don’t be deceived and stop giving them your money while they exploit our talents! Wake up America!

6. Butter Pecan on said:

People look for reasons to be offended! Yet a racist tweet she posted was never addressed after 5 years! The only news it got was from a black publication. Then it’s swept under the rug! As for dannon, I don’t use any of their products and those people I know that do, don’t anymore! I don’t imagine Cam is going to lose any sleep over it either.

7. specialt757 on said:

I used to love Cam, but honestly, I lose more and more respect for him and that silly ass looking goatee doesn’t help. He’s a great quarterback, but it never ceases to amaze me how people who can’t seem to get out of their own way. He would have been better off standing (or kneeling, I would have had more respect for him) for Kap than saying something that obviously offended some, but clearly does not offend me. I would have ripped his ass to sheds and he would have left in tears, no I mean real tears. That little bulls**t he said was nothing.

• Leslie on said:

I know this is completely unrelated to the subject, but how did you add a pic to your profile? I have been trying to figure it out for awhile, but I don’t see an option to do it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• specialt757 on said:

Leslie, at the point where you are typing your comments look below to the right, you will see a “W” for wordpress.com, got their and follow the directions. You can select photos from your hard drive and from the internet, anything you’d like. Hope this helps.

• specialt757 on said:

That 71 y.o. man-child in the white house has said some clearly racist and sexist shit from day one and this mofo gets rewarded by being elected to the highest office in the land. He never apologizes to anyone about anything. He never things he’s wrong and NO ONE holds him accountable, it’s just accepted. Well f**k dannon, I don’t buy their products anyway, and now I’m going to make sure I don’t make that mistake.

8. Leslie on said:

His comment was certainly ignorant, but Dannon was obviously looking for a reason to break ties with him anyway. Had he simply stepped on a catapillar, they would’ve rebuked and fired him. 🙄