Honoring what would have been his 59th birthday today (June 7), Nelson released a music video for her song “End of the Road,” which takes viewers through the childhood they shared back in Minneapolis.
“After Prince passed I wanted to give him one final birthday present and I decided to fulfill his wish, and record this song at Paisley Park,” she says, referring to his home and studio in Minnesota, where the singer died last year. “This song poses the question ‘Is this the End of The Road?’ and my answer is I don’t think so! I will see all three of my beautiful family members someday again.”
Among the never-before-seen family photos and footage in the video are his childhood home at 539 Newton in Minneapolis and the yellow house where his and Nelson’s parents moved in 1965.
Prince owned the red guitar illuminated in the background of one shot, and the hooded teddy bear sitting in the front yard was a gift to Tyka from her famous brother.
Nelson and Apollo V penned “End of the Road,” while Empire executive producer Sanaa Hamri directed the video. A longtime friend of Prince’s, she also directed the clip for his 2004 song “Musicology.”
Watch the video below:
Remembering Prince Through the Years
1. PrinceSource:AP 1 of 15
2. PrinceSource:AP 2 of 15
3. Fact: Prince was nicknamed "Skipper" as a kid.3 of 15
4. Prince rocking out on ABC's Good Morning America in June of 2006. (PR Photos)4 of 15
5. Fact: Prince was reportedly able to play 27 instruments5 of 15
6. Prince at the 2007 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in West Hollywood, CA. (PR Photos)6 of 15
7. Prince at The Bourne Ultimatum UK Premiere in Leicester Square in 2007. (PR Photos)7 of 15
8. Prince performs at London Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2008 in Eaton Square in London. (PR Photos)8 of 15
9. Prince performs in Chicago in 2011.9 of 15
10. Prince performs at London Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2008 in Eaton Square in London. (PR Photos)10 of 15
11. Prince at the 42nd NAACP Image Awards on March 4, 2011, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo)11 of 15
12. Wax Figure of Prince Unveiled at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in New York on January 16, 2009. (PR Photos)12 of 15
13. Prince was awarded with an "Icon Award" at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards. (AP)13 of 15
14. Fact: Prince played electric guitar on Madonna's "Like A Prayer." (Retna)14 of 15
15. PrinceSource:AP 15 of 15