Big Little Lies actress recently shared a pretty big secret to Allure: It hasn’t been easy for her to accept herself as Black.
In the June issue of the popular women’s magazine, Zoe Kravitz opened about being raised by two biracial parents; being the only Black kid in school and encountering racism in Trump’s America.
“I think a lot of that made me want to blend in or not be looked at as black. The white kids are always talking about your hair and making you feel weird. I had this struggle of accepting myself as black and loving that part of myself,” the 28-year-old shared.
She added: “And now I’m so in love with my culture and so proud to be black. It’s still ongoing, but a big shift has occurred. My dad [Lenny Kravitz] especially has always been very connected to his history, and it’s important to him that I understand where I come from.”
Kravitz later admitted that her own experiences with white people as of late have played a role in how she racially identities.
“Racism is very real, and white supremacy is going strong. I am definitely mixed. Both my parents are mixed. I have white family on both sides. The older I get, the more I experience life, I am identifying more and more with being black, and what that means — being more and more proud of that and feeling connected to my roots and my history. It’s been a really interesting journey because I was always one of the only black kids in any of my schools. I went to private schools full of white kids,” she said.
Kravitz, whose mother Lisa Bonet played the iconic Denise Huxtable on The Cosby Show and Different World, also opened up how the rape allegations against Bill Cosby have impacted her family.
“I think [my mother] didn’t like hearing that. It bummed her out. Though she didn’t seem incredibly surprised about it. I don’t think she wants to hear about anyone being abused, especially by someone she spent so much time with. It feels sh*tty. You want to shower.”
Kravitz is June’s cover girl—and she is killing it!
Watch her transform herself into 60s icon Twiggy:
"I think everyone is the most beautiful when they are the most themselves — feeling comfortable in their own skin and doing them and not doing what everyone else tells you to do." For her cover issue, #ZoeKravitz chose to transform into the iconic #Twiggy, who inspired her and the rest of the world by defining beauty on her own terms. Tap the link in bio to watch the full transformation. (📹: @carissajg 👗: @ajmukamal 💇: @nikkinelms 💄: makeup @georgisandev 💅: @nailsbymarysoul)
The June issue of Allure is on newsstands now.
Famous Parents Whose Children Are Stars
1. Diddy's kidsSource:Diddy's Instagram 1 of 17
2. Lil Wayne: Reginae CarterSource:Reginae Instagram 2 of 17
3. Evelyz Lozada: ShanieceSource:Evelyn Instagram 3 of 17
4. Bob Marley: Ziggy MarleySource:Facebook 4 of 17
5. Damon Wayans: Damon Wayans Jr.Source:Instagram 5 of 17
6. Eddie Murphy: Bria MurphySource:Instagram 6 of 17
7. Quincy Jones: Rashida JonesSource:Twitter 7 of 17
8. Rev Run: Diggy SimmonsSource:Instagram 8 of 17
9. Lionel Richie: Nicole RichieSource:Instagram 9 of 17
10. Master P : Romeo and Cymphonique MillerSource:PR Photos 10 of 17
11. Diana Ross: Tracee Ellis RossSource:Instagram 11 of 17
12. Stan Lathan: Sanaa LathanSource:Instagram 12 of 17
13. Lenny Kravitz: Zoe KravitzSource:PR Photos 13 of 17
14. Alan Thicke: Robin ThickeSource:PR Photos 14 of 17
15. Martin and Coretta Scott King: Martin III, Bernice, Dexter, YolandaSource:PR Photos 15 of 17
16. Will and Jada Pinkett Smith: Jaden and Willow SmithSource:PR Photos 16 of 17
17. Muhammad Ali: Laila AliSource:PR Photos 17 of 17
SWIRLED: Our Favorite Black & White Celebs
1. Singer KeKe Wyatt's mother is white and her father is African-American.Source:Instagram 1 of 29
2. Alicia Keys has an Italian mom and an African- American dad. (PR)2 of 29
3. Actor Boris Kodjue's father is Ghanaian and his mother German. (PR)3 of 29
4. Athlete Lolo Jones birth mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)4 of 29
5. "Criminal Minds" actor has a white mom and a black dad. (PR)5 of 29
6. Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones, who is Black and mom, Peggy Lipton is White. (PR)6 of 29
7. Singer Lenny Kravitz has a Black mom and a Caucasian-Jewish father. (PR)7 of 29
8. Amber Rose has an Italian father and a Creole Mother. (PR)8 of 29
9. Drake's mother is Jewish-Canadian and his father is Black. (PR)9 of 29
10. Jordin Sparks is bi-racial too. (PR)10 of 29
11. J.Cole's mother is caucasian and his dad is African- American. (PR)11 of 29
12. Singer Mya's father is Italian and her mother is Black. (PR)12 of 29
13. NBA player Kris Humphries has a white mom and black dad. (PR)13 of 29
14. Actress Halle berry's mother is Causcasian and her father is Black. (PR)14 of 29
15. President Barack Obama has a Kenyan father and a Caucasian mother. (AP)15 of 29
16. Tracee Ellis Ross' mom is the the legendary Diana Ross and her dad is white. (PR)16 of 29
17. Derek Jeter has a black dad and white mother. (PR)17 of 29
18. Actor Wentworth Miller is half White and Black. (AP)18 of 29
19. Maya Rudolph has a black mother, Minnie Rippleton and a white father. (PR)19 of 29
20. Actress Lauren London has a Black mom and a Caucasian- Jewish father. (PR)20 of 29
21. Actor Vin Diesal is black and Italian but he has never met his biological father. (PR)21 of 29
22. Singer Leona Lewis has white mom and black dad. (PR)22 of 29
23. Melanie "Scary Spice" Brown's mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)23 of 29
24. Actor Jesse Williams has a Swedish mom and an African-American dad. (PR)24 of 29
25. Twins actresses Tia Mowry-Hardict and Tamara Mowry-Housley are Black and Italian. (PR)25 of 29
26. Faith Evans has a black mother and an italian father, but the singer chooses not to claim her white ancestry. (PR)26 of 29
27. Singer Craig David has a grenadian dad and white-british mom. (PR)27 of 29
28. The tall red-head Blake Griffin has a white mom and black dad. (PR)28 of 29
29. Actress Tamara Taylor has a black father and a Scottish mother. (PR)29 of 29