Magic Johnson is sharing what it was like for him as a parent when his son, EJ Johnson, came out.
EJ has made a name for himself after appearing on E!’s Rich Kids of Beverly Hills–enough so to garner his very own spinoff EJ NYC. And it’s no surprise. EJ has always been a commanding presence on-screen with a captivating personality and the fashion sense to match.
Since his entrance into the spotlight, EJ has revealed that he’s gay. While that might be a lot for some moms and dads to handle, Magic shared on The Ellen Degeneres Show that he was overjoyed for his son.
Experiencing this with EJ taught Magic a lot, but the most important thing he got from the whole things is that a parent needs to lay their expectations aside and love their kids for who they are.
“It’s all about you not trying to decide what your daughter or son should be or what you want them to become,” Magic told Ellen.
“It’s all about loving them ― no matter who they are, what they decide to do,” he went on. “When my son came out I was so happy for him and happy for us as parents. And we love him ― EJ is amazing.”
It’s important for Magic, and his wife Cookie, to let EJ know that despite all of his viewers and followers on social media, they are still his biggest fans.
“You’e got to support your child because there’s so many people who try to discriminate against them,” Magic explained. “They need you to support them because if you don’t support them, who is going to support them? And love them.”
Out and Proud Celebrities
1. EJ JohnsonSource:Instagram 1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.25 of 25