JERUSALEM (AP) — Former NBA player Amare Stoudemire has apologized for telling an Israeli website that he would avoid a gay teammate.
Stoudemire told Walla Sport when asked about the possibility of having a gay teammate: “I’m going to shower across the street, make sure my change of clothes are around the corner.” When asked if he was joking, he said “there’s always a truth within a joke.”
In a statement released Thursday by his current team, Israel’s Hapoel Jerusalem, Stoudemire says the questions were “hypothetical” and all his answers had “a comedic undertone.” He says he’s “deeply sorry for offending anyone” and he’s “open to creating a dialogue to assist the fight the LGBT community encounters daily.”
Stoudemire’s comments drew criticism from gay former NBA players Jason Collins and John Amaechi.
When Stoudemire played for the New York Knicks in 2012, he was fined $50,000 by the NBA after tweeting a gay slur at a fan.
1. WNBA star Glory JohnsonSource:AP 1 of 16
2. College basketball star Derrick Gordon announced he was gay on Instagram on April 9, 2014.Source:Instagram 2 of 16
3. College Football star Michael Sam3 of 16
4. Former WNBA player Sheryl Swoopes4 of 16
5. NBA player Jason Collins5 of 16
6. WNBA player Brittney Griner6 of 16
7. Former NBA player John Amaechi7 of 16
8. Legendary Tennis player Billie Jean King8 of 16
9. Boxer Orlando Cruz9 of 16
10. Former NFL player Kwame Harris10 of 16
11. Former Olympic diver Greg Louganis11 of 16
12. Former MLB outfielder Glenn Burke12 of 16
13. Former Tennis star Martina Navratalova13 of 16
14. Former Soccer player Justin Fashanu14 of 16
15. Esera Tuaolo15 of 16
16. Megan Rapinoe16 of 16
(Photo Source: AP)