We all know the legend…. back in 1984, when Janet Jackson was 18-years-old, she eloped with musician James DeBarge and they had a baby girl… maybe. The marriage lasted one year before it was eventually annulled. but their child would be passed on to Janet’s sister Rebbie to be raised in secret.
Now, as 50-year-old Janet embraces the joys of motherhood “for the first time,” her former mother-in-law, Etterlene DeBarge, is speaking on the legend that her new baby is not her first.
“I know there’s a daughter out there somewhere,” DeBarge said when asked by Inside Edition whether Jackson gave birth to a secret child 31 years ago.
DeBarge says after her son’s marriage to Jackson collapsed, the “Rhythm Nation” singer disappeared from public view, leading to rumors of her going into seclusion to give birth. After the baby was born, she was supposedly placed in foster care… or, according to legend, Rebbie, raised the child.
Etterlene says she has been contacted by several women over the years claiming to be the Jackson’s secret daughter. But one woman in Philadelphia is of curious interest.
“I told her, the proof is in the pudding let’s go get a DNA test,” 81-year-old Etterlene recalled to Inside Edition. The news site was given the DNA test, which found that the probability of relatedness is 96.7 percent.
Etterlene met the woman, 31-year-old Tiffany, last year at an airport in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She told Inside Edition that she believes Tiffany is her granddaughter and the child of Janet Jackson and her son.
Check out more in the video report below.
Jackson and her husband, Wissam Al Mana, welcomed their first child together — a son, on January 3. According to her rep, they named the boy Eissa Al Mana.
Comeback Kids: Famous Folks Who Returned To Stardom
1. Ja RuleSource:Instagram 1 of 13
2. Janet JacksonSource:AP 2 of 13
3. Michael Vick spent 23 months in prison and is now QB for the Jets.3 of 13
4. Missy Elliot made a huge comeback performing at Super Bowl 49 alongside Katy Perry and Lenny KravitzSource:PR 4 of 13
5. Mariah Carey got crazy in 2001. Comeback: the release of Emancipation of Mimi5 of 13
6. Nicole Richie had several incidents and now she is mother, author, designer.6 of 13
7. Ex-convict Mike Tyson had a cameo in The Hangover and made several documentaries7 of 13
8. Marion Jones stripped of her medals, later authored a book & played for WNBA.8 of 13
9. Chris Brown beat Rihanna but later picked up a Grammy and starred in films.9 of 13
10. Christina Aguilara is now a mentor and judge on 'the Voice'10 of 13
11. T.I. got out of prison and has a promising film and music career.11 of 13
12. Whitney Houston had began staging her comeback when she died.12 of 13
13. Michael Jackson was set to began his comeback with 'This Is It'13 of 13
(Photo Source: Inside Edition screenshot)