NEW YORK (AP) — Actress Meryl Streep, TV host Seth Meyers, and the Golden Globe-winning movie “Moonlight” will be honored next month by the Human Rights Campaign, the LGBTQ civil rights organization.
The award for “Moonlight,” a coming-of-age film about a black gay youth, will be accepted by Tarell Alvin McCraney, the author of the play on which the film is based.
Meyers, the host of “Late Night with Seth Meyers” on NBC, is being honored at the Feb. 11 gala for raising awareness about LGBTQ issues, including drawing attention to discriminatory legislation.
Streep, who gave an impassioned speech at the Golden Globes criticizing President-elect Donald Trump for mocking a disabled reporter and calling for the defense of a free press, will be honored for a career of advocating for LGBTQ equality.
Out and Proud Celebrities
1. EJ JohnsonSource:Instagram 1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.25 of 25
(Photo Source: PR Photos)