Tyrese Gibson is headed to television with a recurring role opposite Queen Latifah in “Star,” the upcoming Fox series created and executive produced by Lee Daniels and Tom Donaghy.
Set in Atlanta, “Star” follows three talented young singers (Jude Demorest, Ryan Destiny and Brittany O’Grady) who navigate the cut-throat music business on their road to success.
Queen Latifah stars as Carlotta, the godmother of two of the girls.
Tyrese will play Carlotta’s pastor Bobby Harris, described as a handsome ex-thug, who, like Carlotta, has turned his life over to God. Carlotta and Pastor Harris begin a relationship that will be challenged on many fronts and which will ultimately create a crisis of faith for them both.
Benjamin Bratt and Nicholas Gonzalez also star in the series, which will feature original music, along with musical fantasy sequences, as the girls dream of their future. Grammy winner Lenny Kravitz will guest star.
“Star” is a production of 20th Century Fox Television in association with Lee Daniels Entertainment. Pamela Oas Williams and Effie Brown also serve as executive producers. Charles Pratt is showrunner for the series.
Making History: Top 10 Richest Black Actors
1. Tyler Perry - estimated worth $450M1 of 10
2. Bill Cosby - estimated worth $380MSource:AP 2 of 10
3. Will Smith - estimated worth $240MSource:AP 3 of 10
4. Samuel L. Jackson - estimated worth $170MSource:PR 4 of 10
5. Morgan Freeman - estimated worth $150MSource:AP 5 of 10
6. Denzel Washington - estimated worth $140MSource:PR 6 of 10
7. Ice Cube - estimated worth $140MSource:PRPhotos.com 7 of 10
8. Martin Lawrence - estimated worth $110MSource:PR 8 of 10
9. LL Cool J - estimated worth $100MSource:AP 9 of 10
10. Eddie Murphy - estimated worth $85MSource:AP 10 of 10
(Photo Source: PR Photos)