LAS VEGAS (AP) — Retired boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is accused of stiffing a Las Vegas jewelry company for $1.4 million of the cost of a diamond-encrusted necklace he bought the weekend after his last fight, according to a lawsuit filed in Nevada state court.
It wasn’t immediately clear Tuesday if Mayweather or his legal representatives had been served with the civil lawsuit, filed Sept. 23 in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas.
Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe and Mark Tratos, an attorney in Las Vegas who represents Mayweather in civil cases, didn’t immediately respond to messages.
The Jewelers Inc. said in court filings that Mayweather paid $1 million when he bought the $3 million necklace consisting of 72 round-cut diamonds in September 2015, and that he made six subsequent $100,000 payments.
Each diamond was about 3 carats, according to the lawsuit.
It alleges that Mayweather hasn’t made a payment since May, and accuses him of breach of agreement and unjust enrichment.
Ellerbe told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Mayweather had no comment about the lawsuit.
Mayweather, now 39, was listed by Forbes as the world’s highest-paid athlete in 2015, making about $300 million. He also topped the Forbes list in 2012, at $85 million, and 2014, at $105 million.
Estimates were that Mayweather earned a stunning $220 million for his unanimous decision over longtime nemesis Manny Pacquiao from the Philippines in May 2015. He was reported to have taken home another $32 million when he defeated Andre Berto on Sept. 12, 2015, at the MGM Grand arena.
Mayweather finished his career undefeated, at 49-0 with 26 knockouts.
The lawsuit was the second in 11 years filed against Mayweather over jewelry. Records show that a 2005 civil action filed by another jeweler alleging that he failed to pay $124,000 for more than 20 pieces of jewelry was settled in 2006. The terms were not disclosed.
A lawyer who represented the jewelry store in that case has retired and didn’t immediately respond to a message.
DO IT FOR THE 'GRAM: Celebrities Who Flaunt Their Wealth
1. Kevin Hart and Eniko HartSource:Instagram 1 of 21
2. TygaSource:Instagram 2 of 21
3. Khloe Kardashian shows off her diamondsSource:Khloe Kardashian Instagram 3 of 21
4. Chris Brown shows off his baby blue LamborghiniSource:Instagram 4 of 21
5. Tank shows off an expensive watch while in LondonSource:Instagram 5 of 21
6. J-Lo shows off her diamond encrusted emerald jewels before heading to the Teen Choice AwardsSource:Instagram 6 of 21
7. Cynthia Bailey shows off her shoe closetSource:Instagram 7 of 21
8. Kim Kardashian vacations in ThailandSource:Instagram 8 of 21
9. Oprah has dinner in the deserts of GhanaSource:Instagram 9 of 21
10. Evelyn Lozada hops on her private plane with her son Carl Jr.10 of 21
11. Birdman shows off in a custom convertible sports carSource:Instagram 11 of 21
12. Paris Hilton shows off her cherry red Porsche and custom made Spyder12 of 21
13. Diddy and his yachtSource:Instagram 13 of 21
14. 50 Cent takes a quick photo before hopping on his private jetSource:Instagram 14 of 21
15. Porsha Stewart gets her hair and makeup done at homeSource:Instagram 15 of 21
16. Ray J and his girlfriend show off their custom Rolex'sSource:Instagram 16 of 21
17. Tyrese visits DubaiSource:Instagram 17 of 21
18. Kobe and Vanessa have dinner with Christian LouboutinSource:Instagram 18 of 21
19. Nene Leakes flaunts her new Hermes perfume from her hubby.Source:Instagram 19 of 21
20. Kevin Hart poses in front of his brand new 2015 FerrariSource:Instagram 20 of 21
21. Floyd Mayweather shows off his beach style with custom Louis Vuitton towelsSource:Instagram 21 of 21
(Photo Source: PR Photos, Instagram)