If you’re a Solange Knowles fan you most likely are aware that Beyonce’s little sister dropped her latest project, “A Seat at the Table,” on Friday. If you you’re not a fan, now you know, too. The point is that this looks to be the singer’s most personal project to date.
She says the album, her third, is “a project on identity, empowerment, independence, grief, and healing” and it tackles topics like race and identity politics, and her relationship with her family.
Solange shared that she gives much of the credit for becoming who she is to the foundation and the support that her parents gave her.
“We grew up in a household with two parents who constantly celebrated Blackness and created forums and spaces to empower Black communities,” Solange wrote on her website, Saint Heron. “This might feel new for other people, but it is surely not new for me…I also feel like I had a lot of encouragement when I was to stand up to inequalities. You and dad both nurtured my voice to stand up, which gave me the confidence to now continue that and to write this record. It is one thing to experience these situations, but then it’s another to go home and tell your family and have them not support you. Having that support definitely had a positive impact on me.”
As part of their conversation, Solange Knowles also told her mother that she created the project with the values that they instilled her as parents.
“We are creating the opportunities and communities that we want to see…a huge part of the record is just honoring and giving a tribute to my parents.”
Above, check out the video for “Don’t Touchy My Hair” and below, “Cranes in the Sky.” BTW, both videos were co-directed by Solange and her husband, Alan Ferguson.
Celebrity Siblings: Talent Runs in the Family
1. LisaRaye McCoy is the older half-sister of rapper Da Brat; they share the same father.Source:Instagram 1 of 20
2. Meagan and La'Miyah GoodSource:PR 2 of 20
3. jussie and Jurnee Smollett-BellSource:Jussie Smollett Instagram 3 of 20
4. Tennis Superstars Venus and Serena Williams.Source:AP 4 of 20
5. Tracie Ellis Ross and Evan Ross are the children of Ms. Diana Ross.Source:PR 5 of 20
6. Ray-J and Brandy have a close bond that's been displayed in music, TV, and film.Source:Brandy Instagram 6 of 20
7. The Braxtons Toni, Tamar, Traci, Towonda and Trina have all gained celeb status.Source:PR 7 of 20
8. Beyonce and Solange, the power sisters in music, fashion and film.Source:PR 8 of 20
9. Tahj, Tia and Tamera have been famous since childhood.Source:Instagram 9 of 20
10. Pop icon Grace Jones and Bishop Noel Jones are siblings.10 of 20
11. Did you know Nia Long and comedian Sommore are half sisters.11 of 20
12. Vanessa Williams shares those blue eyes with younger brother Chris.12 of 20
13. Actors and brothers Steve and Wood Harris.13 of 20
14. The famous music family includes Janet, Tito, Michael, Marlon, Jackie & Jermaine14 of 20
15. Phylicia Rashad and Debbie Allen are sisters.15 of 20
16. The Wayans Bros: Dwayne, Keenan Ivory, Kim, Damon, Marlon, and Shawn.16 of 20
17. Funny guys Eddie and Charlie Murphy are brothers.17 of 20
18. Funny men Chris Rock and Tony Rock, don't you see the resemblance?18 of 20
19. The talented DeBarge family has been plagued with drugs, crime & death.19 of 20
20. Brothers Rev Run, Russell and Danny Simmons.20 of 20
(Photo Source: Solange’s Instagram)