NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Three dancers have filed a federal lawsuit alleging that a law requiring performers in New Orleans strip clubs be at least 21 years old is unconstitutional.
The lawsuit comes about a week before state officials have said they’ll begin enforcing the new law statewide.
The dancers say the law will rob them of the ability to express themselves, in violation of the First Amendment guarantee of free speech. They also claim the law unfairly targets women, citing a clause that defines strip club performers as “entertainers whose breasts or buttocks are exposed to view.” That definition, they claim, does not prohibit the same conduct by men who are between the ages of 18 and 21.
NOLA.com/The Times-Picayune reports a hearing has not been scheduled on the lawsuit.
Famous Men Who Had A Baby Or Fell In Love With A Stripper
1. Rapper, actor and television host Bow WowSource:Bow Wow Instagram 1 of 12
2. Dallas Cowboys' Orlando Scandrick2 of 12
3. 'RHOA' star Greg LeakesSource:Nene's Instagram 3 of 12
4. British Billionaire Maximilion CooperSource:PR Photos 4 of 12
5. Rapper DrakeSource:Twitter 5 of 12
6. Reality Star Stevie JSource:Twitter 6 of 12
7. Rapper Kanye WestSource:PR Photos 7 of 12
8. Rap legend Kool G RapSource:PR Photos 8 of 12
9. Rapper Lil WayneSource:PR 9 of 12
10. Indiana Pacer's star Paul GeorgeSource:AP 10 of 12
11. Rapper Wiz KalifahSource:Amber Rose's Instagram 11 of 12
12. Rapper TygaSource:PR Photos 12 of 12
(Photo Source: Thinkstock)