Most known for her roles in The Wire and Get Hard, Edwina Findley Dickerson stars in one of OWN’s most successful series, If Loving You Is Wrong. The Tyler Perry produced drama returns tonight and Dickerson talks to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about her role as Kelly, a single mother looking for love.
How did she catch Tyler Perry’s attention?
“I did Ava Duvernay’s movie Nowhere with David Oyelowo and Oprah saw that movie and she was so gracious with her response to that. Then I met Tyler and he recognized me in that. It kind became a love affair with all of us,” Dickerson said.
If Loving You Is Wrong premieres Tuesday, September 13, at 9/8c. Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Love Em Or Hate Em: On Screen Moms
1. Kimberly Elise played the naive, yet insanely sweet mom in 'Set It Off'1 of 27
2. Monique played the hilariously funny mom on "The Parkers"2 of 27
3. Wendy Racquel Robinson played the funny, neck-rolling 'Tasha Mack' on The Game.3 of 27
4. Tasha Smith starred in 'Daddy's Little Girl's' as the ghetto, loud-mouthed baby mama.4 of 27
5. Janet Hubert played the sassy mom on 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'5 of 27
6. Lisa Raye played the funny, witty mom on "All About Us"6 of 27
7. Nia Long played the lovable mom in "Big Mama's House", "Are We There Yet"7 of 27
8. Jackee Harry is most known for her role as "Lisa" in Sister, Sister.8 of 27
9. Whitney Houston played Jordin Sparks' mom in 'Sparkle'9 of 27
10. Everyone wanted "Clair Huxtable" as their mom, the stylish, hard-working attorney who kept her large family in-tact. (AP)10 of 27
11. Who can forget A.J. Johnson in "Baby Boy" as Jody's fun-loving, feisty mother. (PR)11 of 27
12. Juanita Moore's classic role as a maid whose daughter rejects her to pass as white in "Imiitation of Life." (Retna)12 of 27
13. Angela Bassett as the "uppity" mom in "Jumping The Broom" or vengeful in "Waiting to Exhale" she always aces it. (PR)13 of 27
14. Jenifer Lewis has been everyone's mama, including Tina Turner to Melvin's in the "Temptations" & many more. (PR)14 of 27
15. Esther Rolle, best known as "Florida Evans" was the backbone of her family on "Good Times." (AP)15 of 27
16. Alfre Woodard has commonly played the homemaking,hardworking, kind mother and does it great every time. (PR)16 of 27
17. It was hard not to hate Lynne Whitfield in "Madea's Family Reunion" in her role as an evil mom.17 of 27
18. Irma P. Hall's role as "Big Mama" in "Soul Food" surely had everyone leaving the theater in tears. (PR)18 of 27
19. Loretta Devine has many heartwrenching roles as mom, including her classic role in "Waiting to Exhale." (PR)19 of 27
20. Marla Gibbs as "Mary Jenkins" on "227" was the gossipy mom who had her friend's backs. (PR)20 of 27
21. Diahann Carroll as the single mother in "Claudine" is very memorable. (PR)21 of 27
22. Cicely Tyson always sheds a lot of wisdom to her deserving daughters in her roles as mom. (PR)22 of 27
23. Halle Berry earned an Oscar for her role as mom in "Monster's Ball." (AP)23 of 27
24. Tichina Arnold on "Everybody Hates Chris" as the loud, in-your-face mom who kept things in order for her three kids and husband. (PR)24 of 27
25. Maybe memorable for not being so good, Beyonce played "Sharon" young mother in "Obsessed." (PR)25 of 27
26. Jo Marie Payton was the better half of "Carl Winslow" who kept the Winslow family tight. (Retna)26 of 27
27. Taraji P. Henson played opposite Tyrese Gibson as his mother in the movie "Baby Boy." (Photo: AP)27 of 27
(Photo Source: Courtesy)