After eleven years of marriage, Boris Kodjoe and Nicole Ari Parker have created a beautiful family.
The actress shared a photo of her husband and their two kids on Instagram with the caption, #FamFriday.
In May, the couple celebrated their anniversary with a sweet date night. As noted by Essence, the couple met for the first time and fell in love when they played lovers on the set of Soul Food, the TV series in 2000.
Over a decade later, they’re still going strong and raising two bright children, Nicholas and Sophie.
The couple have been candid about their daughter’s spina bifida diagnosis, a birth defect that affects the development of the spinal cord. They note that Sophie’s strength has changed their perspective on life.
“Her spirit, her attitude was always, she was this little baby who was always smiling and she looked at us like, ‘Why are you crying?’” Kodjoe said in an Aspire TV interview. “So we figured, OK, this is what it is. This is our norm. She doesn’t know any different and it’s up to us to prepare her and equip her for this life that’s hers and make sure that she has all options and all opportunities that anyone else would have.”
Parker has also talked about how her marriage has worked for so long.
“I think we passed out every single night because we still had to come home, do homework and make dinner,” Parker told MadameNoire in a 2015 interview. “Boris and I fuss about the same regular stuff married people fuss about. Our work situation doesn’t make or break that. He’s still a husband who doesn’t listen to his wife [laughs]. He can’t hear me when the game is on. He always gets the wrong thing at the grocery store [laughs]. Same old, same old.”
Adding, “You and your husband have to look at each other and say, ‘I know that we’re going to go through a rough patch,’ whether it be financially, intimately, life decisions, you’re going to go through a rough patch,” Parker said. “But then you have to make the real commitment to say, ‘We’re going to be with each other through the rough patch,’ because there is joy on the other side. You become better people on the other side. Everyone wants to run if you have one argument, one misstep or one mistake. But if you commit to going through the desert, so to speak, it’s so good on the other side.”
Parker is currently filming Time After Time, an ABC sci-fi thriller, and will be in Almost Christmas this November.
Kodjoe is currently in two television series, Code Black and Cape Town, a mystery mini-series.
Black Celebs With Blue, Green & Hazel Eyes
1. Michael Ealy- Blue1 of 25
2. Raven Symone- Hazel2 of 25
3. Jesse Williams- Blue3 of 25
4. Vanessa Williams- Blue4 of 25
5. Tami Roman- Hazel5 of 25
6. Gary Dourdan- Green6 of 25
7. Tyra Banks- Green/Hazel7 of 25
8. Smokey Robinson- Green8 of 25
9. Jada Pinkett-Smith- Hazel9 of 25
10. Stacey Dash- Blue/Green10 of 25
11. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.11 of 25
12. Terrence Howard- Green/Hazel12 of 25
13. Eva Pigford- Green/Hazel13 of 25
14. Chris Williams- Blue14 of 25
15. Regina King- Hazel15 of 25
16. LaLa Anthony- Green16 of 25
17. Robert Ri'chard- Green17 of 25
18. Nicole Ari Parker- Green18 of 25
19. James Earl Jones- Blue19 of 25
20. Rihanna- Green/Hazel20 of 25
21. Nicole Murphy- Blue21 of 25
22. Gerald Kelly- Green22 of 25
23. Stephen Belafonte- Blue23 of 25
24. REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information, call 407-248-9191.24 of 25
25. Leona Lewis- Blue/ Green25 of 25