Halle Berry is back…and looking at the recent trailer for her upcoming film Kidnap, she’s back with a vengeance.
All is well with Berry’s character Karla McCoy as she plays Marco Polo with her son Frankie at a local amusement park…until he stops answering. Soon after, she frantically searches for Frankie and sees him being dragged into a stranger’s car. As Karla races after them, she sadly can’t get hold of her child, which leads her to take matters into her own hands. Translation: Some pretty bad a^$ car chasing scenes and a mother that is determined to find her son by any means necessary.
And clearly, Berry’s character is not the one: “You took the wrong kid!” she tells her child’s kidnapper.
Berry recently told USA Today that she used her own experiences as a mother to prepare for this upcoming role.
“Being a parent, I understood this in a very visceral way. I play an ordinary mom forced to act in extraordinary ways,” the 50-year-old Oscar winner said. “I got to put in a little of what Halle Berry would do in this situation. That was fun.”
And for the insane car sequences, Berry spent weeks inside Karla’s Chrysler minivan shooting on location in New Orleans. She even drove during those chases, with a stunt driver controlling the maneuvers from a roof pod, USA Today noted.
“There’s a lot of Halle driving here, but that really crazy driving, we left to the professionals,” the film’s producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura told the newspaper. “She can kick serious butt out of the car.”
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film was originally supposed to be released last year but was pushed back, for numerous reasons including the film’s distributor Relativity’s filing for bankruptcy. But now with the company bouncing back financially, this thriller is set to hit theaters December 2. And by the looks of it, folks are definitely here for Berry’s new role.
We won’t lie, we’re pretty intrigued with this Black version of Taken. That and it’s been way too long since we’ve seen a Black actress in a leading film role that isn’t waiting around for anyone to save her.
SWIRLED: Our Favorite Black & White Celebs
1. Singer KeKe Wyatt's mother is white and her father is African-American.Source:Instagram 1 of 34
2. Alicia Keys has an Italian mom and an African- American dad. (PR)2 of 34
3. Actor Boris Kodjue's father is Ghanaian and his mother German. (PR)3 of 34
4. Athlete Lolo Jones birth mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)4 of 34
5. "Criminal Minds" actor has a white mom and a black dad. (PR)5 of 34
6. Rashida Jones, daughter of Quincy Jones, who is Black and mom, Peggy Lipton is White. (PR)6 of 34
7. Singer Lenny Kravitz has a Black mom and a Caucasian-Jewish father. (PR)7 of 34
8. Amber Rose has an Italian father and a Creole Mother. (PR)8 of 34
9. Drake's mother is Jewish-Canadian and his father is Black. (PR)9 of 34
10. Jordin Sparks is bi-racial too. (PR)10 of 34
11. J.Cole's mother is caucasian and his dad is African- American. (PR)11 of 34
12. Singer Mya's father is Italian and her mother is Black. (PR)12 of 34
13. NBA player Kris Humphries has a white mom and black dad. (PR)13 of 34
14. Actress Halle berry's mother is Causcasian and her father is Black. (PR)14 of 34
15. President Barack Obama has a Kenyan father and a Caucasian mother. (AP)15 of 34
16. Tracee Ellis Ross' mom is the the legendary Diana Ross and her dad is white. (PR)16 of 34
17. Derek Jeter has a black dad and white mother. (PR)17 of 34
18. Actor Wentworth Miller is half White and Black. (AP)18 of 34
19. Maya Rudolph has a black mother, Minnie Rippleton and a white father. (PR)19 of 34
20. Actress Lauren London has a Black mom and a Caucasian- Jewish father. (PR)20 of 34
21. Actor Vin Diesal is black and Italian but he has never met his biological father. (PR)21 of 34
22. Singer Leona Lewis has white mom and black dad. (PR)22 of 34
23. Melanie "Scary Spice" Brown's mother is white and her dad is black. (PR)23 of 34
24. Actor Jesse Williams has a Swedish mom and an African-American dad. (PR)24 of 34
25. Twins actresses Tia Mowry-Hardict and Tamara Mowry-Housley are Black and Italian. (PR)25 of 34
26. Faith Evans has a black mother and an italian father, but the singer chooses not to claim her white ancestry. (PR)26 of 34
27. Singer Craig David has a grenadian dad and white-british mom. (PR)27 of 34
28. Actress Tamara Taylor has a black father and a Scottish mother. (PR)28 of 34
29. The tall red-head Blake Griffin has a white mom and black dad. (PR)29 of 34
30. Michael Ealy (PR Photos)30 of 34
31. Colin Kaepernick father is African American and his mother White.31 of 34
32. Ballerina Misty Copeland's father is German American anad African American and her mother ins African American and Italian American. (PR Photos)32 of 34
33. Paula Patton's mother is white and her father is Black. (PR Photos)33 of 34
34. Jussie Smollett's father is Jewish and his mother is African American. (AP)34 of 34