LOS ANGELES (AP) — The writer, director, producer and star of “The Birth of a Nation” says the Sundance Institute offered him encouragement and support when he needed it most.
“They are the family I never had in this industry,” Nate Parker said as he accepted the organization’s Vanguard Award at a fundraising dinner Thursday night at the Ace Hotel in Los Angeles.
Parker wants other aspiring filmmakers to have the same opportunity, so the cast and crew of “The Birth of a Nation” is endowing a fellowship for a young filmmaker of color to participate in the Sundance Institute’s Inspire program each year for the next five years.
Parker said Sundance support validated and inspired him as he struggled to bring the true story of slave rebellion leader Nat Turner to the screen in “The Birth of a Nation.” The film won audience and grand jury prizes when it premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January. Fox Searchlight will release it in October.
Parker compared the long process of making the film to being on a deserted island.
“You’re by yourself and all you have in your hand is your script and your dream — whatever that thing is, your voice — and you’re surrounded by fear,” he said.
That’s when the Sundance Feature Film Program stepped in to help, and Parker said he’s been “desperately humbled” to accept its support and accolades.
“I’ve worked very hard to use my art to combat injustices everywhere I see them,” he said. “That’s my voice… and having institutions like Sundance support those things is everything.”
12 Black Actors You Need To Know
1. Corey HawkinsSource:Corey Hawkin's Facebook 1 of 12
2. Tone BellSource:Tone Bell Instagram 2 of 12
3. Andra FullerSource:Andre Fuller Instagram 3 of 12
4. Kendrick SampsonSource:PR Photos 4 of 12
5. Justin HiresSource:PR Photos 5 of 12
6. Jessie T. UsherSource:PR Photos 6 of 12
7. Jason MitchellSource:PR Photos 7 of 12
8. Elijah KellySource:PR Photos 8 of 12
9. Alfred EnochSource:PR Photos 9 of 12
10. John BoyegaSource:PRPhotos.com 10 of 12
11. Laroyce HawkinsSource:Laroyce Hawkins Instagram 11 of 12
12. O'shea JacksonSource:PRPhotos.com 12 of 12
(Photo Source: AP)