Three Houston teens heading back from Spring Break festivities in South Padre Island are dead in what  has been characterized as a ‘distracted driving’ crash. The teen died in an accident after the Hyundai Elantra they were driving collided with an 18-wheeler when reportedly, the car’s driver, went to look at her GPS and veered into the path of the truck.

The NY Daily News reports:

Brianna Robinson, 19, her sister Jade Robinson, 17, and Brittanie Johnson, 18, died after the 2 p.m. collision near Corpus Christi on U.S. 77, and the fourth passenger, Shelby Coleman, 18, was critically injured but stable, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

“I keep waiting for the door to open, for them to come back to me,” Brianna and Jade’s mother Stacey Robinson said in a tearful interview with the TV station. “I will miss them. I will miss both of my daughters so much.”

DPS investigators are reviewing the collision, which did not injure the driver of the truck close to Robstown in Nueces County, officials told the Houston Chronicle. The three girls killed all attended Bellaire High School and the injured girl is a senior at Lamar High School, according to the Houston Independent School District.

“We extend our support and sympathy to the families and friends of these students, as well as to both school communities and the district, as a whole,” Houston ISD officials said in a statement Monday, the district’s first day back from spring break. “Counselors are at Bellaire and Lamar today to provide support to students and staff.”

It wasn’t immediately clear who was driving the car Sunday afternoon and DPS officials didn’t immediately respond Monday afternoon to a request for more information. Distracted driving is the No. 1 killer of American teens, according to DPS, and the agency requires all teen driver’s license applicants to take a new course about the danger.

The younger Robinson sister, Jade, starred as varsity captain of the Bellaire Cardinals’ volleyball team, whose deepest state tournament run in school history this past year drew a top 20 statewide ranking, according to the team’s website. She was set to play next year for Tennessee Wesleyan College.

“While Jade had a major impact on the volleyball court; she was a positive force and role model off the court,” the volleyball team said in a statement. “She protected, encouraged and supported younger girls and inspired confidence in themselves to be the very best person they could be. Jade touched so many and we are all saddened by this tragedy.”

The Houston Juniors Volleyball Club, where she played several seasons, starteda GoFundMe page to support the Robinson family. The page had raised almost $22,000 Monday afternoon as the community mourned the three girls left dead.

Find Out What Your Favorite Celebs Did On Instagram (08/04-08/10)

27 thoughts on “Three Houston Teens Killed In Distracted Driving Crash

1. EricMRussell on said:

❥━━━————–❥~home job for Every one~❥—————-━━━❥
    Heres what I do ——->>
    ➤➤➤➤➤➤ …Special-Work-At-Home…
    ❥━━━——————————-❥❥———————————━━━❥

2. My youngest son just finished his last driving school class. Ready to take road test to get regular license. I am so nervous. I know he has to learn and drive by himself but I’m not ready. I remember when my two oldest started driving. I was a nervous wreck whenever I got in the car with them.

Condolences to these families on their losses and to the survivor and her family.

• specialt757 on said:

I felt the same way. I had to talk myself into riding with my daughter because I was a nervous wreck. I didn’t want to scream at her when she made mistakes. And when she did all the right things, I would say, good job, or that was perfect, etc… But it was a struggle getting through, I could feel the tension in my whole body when she drove. So now she reports back on the things she’s accomplishing, like backing into parking spaces on the regular. She says she finds it gets easier and easier. But I still worry.

• Beeg1984 on said:

Every parent worst nightmare, I have a 24 year in College and every time the phone ring at night my heart drops. I tell her that you got to drive for you and look for the other car also. You got to be careful, my husband is a truck driver and its the same story with him. We pray he runs over no one and we pray no one runs into him, cause once you hit a 18 wheeler it’s real bad. LORD HAVE MERCY on the family.. Lord bless the other young lady that did not get killed, cause you know her life will never be the same… Lord God thank you for Mercy and Grace right now… My GOD, My GOD… Bless your wonderful Name Lord Jesus…

• You may also want to consider NOT allowing him to have teen passengers as well
      at least until he’s 30  but seriously an insurance study found that teen drivers were
      20 times more likely to be distracted do to fellow occupants whereas when alone tend to pay more attention to what’s going on outside of the car

3. STOPTHEKILLINGS on said:

HOW TRAGIC. NO PARENT SHOULD HAVE TO LOSE A CHILD, BUT TO LOSE 2 BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS? MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE FAMILIES AND THE PARENT OF THE SURVIVING GIRL. HER WOUNDS WILL BE PSYCHOLOGICAL AS WELL. MY FRINEDS DAUGHTER WAS RECENTLY IN AN ACCIDENT AND THE PERSON SITTING NEXT TO HER DIED. JESUS JESUS. WE NEED TO PRAY A HEDGE OF PROTECTION AROUND OUR CHILDREN , OURSELVES, AND THE OTHER DRIVERS WHEN EVER THEY HAVE TO GET ON THE ROAD.

4. Amber on said:

I always say when you get in a car that you pray for yourself and all the drivers around you and say the first verse of the 23 Psalm. You have to drive yourself and everyone around you.

• specialt757 on said:

“You have to drive yourself and everyone around you.” That was instilled in me when I first started driving. It still resonates loud and clear every time I’m behind the wheel.

5. What would you do? on said:

Wow so tragic. My condolences goes out to these young ladies’ families. It really puts the perspective that every split second of your life counts.

6. specialt757 on said:

I have a new driver and to read stories like these make me cringe. I feel awful for their parents, this has to be a gut wrenching blow, I know it would be for me. RIP and you’re right, they are gone too soon. My prayers go out to these families.

• Ms Curly on said:

You said a mouthful. My granddaughter has been driving a couple of years but now she has a car. She drives back and forth from college every weekend which is about 60 miles. I tell her all the time that it only takes a split second for something to go terribly wrong. I will also be praying for the families.

• specialt757 on said:

Ms. Curly, I don’t know which feeling is worst for me, her driving alone or driving with other teenagers, when I see her car pull up in our driveway, I breathe a sigh of relief.

7. redbone1954 on said:

Praying for this family. This is a horrible tragedy. May they all res in perfect peace and may their families find peace by seeking solace in God. Gone too soon

8. Linda on said:

My condolences to these young ladies families.

While all of this new technology is lovely–i.e. Cellphones/GPS, etc., common sense also needs to prevail when it comes to getting behind the wheel of a vehicle.

All of ones attention needs to on the road–not talking on the cellphones, texting, or anything else!
    All it takes is a moment for a driver to be distracted and then they have either lost control of their car or been involved in an accident.

Teens in particular need to pay close attention to their driving since they are novices on the roads.

• Timekeeper on said:

Your words ring true Linda. Personally I think “Spring Break” is a tragedy waiitng to happen but thats a whole other story. People will never learn that texting and driivng just dont mix.

9. Timothy Green on said:

While i feel very bad for the tragic loss of these 3 young ladies, & the critical injuries of the forth… Im also very bothered by this “go fund me page” trend, NOTHING cheapens the loss of a life more than begging for money … RIP

10. FrankDHayden on said:

❥━━━————–❥~home job for Every one~❥—————-━━━❥
    I’ve made $76,000 so far this year working online and I’m a full time student. Im using an online business opportunity I heard about and I’ve made such great money. It’s really user friendly and I’m just so happy that I found out about it….~!!~
    Heres what I do ——->>>