During a Bossip podcast interview, Tisha Campbell-Martin, who played Gina on the hit 90’s sitcom “Martin,” finally put to rest one of the greatest TV show mysteries of all time, she described the episodes that hinted at what Tommy Strawn did for a living. She then confirmed his exact job title: he was a youth counselor.
“Martin” is an American classic, airing for five seasons on Fox from 1992-1997. It was one of the network’s highest-rated shows during its run. A running joke on the show was that Tommy was always well dressed and never broke, but no one—not even his best friends, Martin and Cole—knew what he did for a living.
Over the weekend, Tisha broke the Internet when she explained what Tommy’s job actually was.
“Tommy really did have a job; I’ll give you a hint,” Campbell-Martin said. “The woman I was gonna fight, she was Martin’s teacher, Beverly Johnson; in that episode that’s the first time you hear about Tommy’s job.”
“So Tommy talks about him being in the Boys & Girls Club,” she continued. And here it is, ladies and gentlemen: “He was a counselor at the Boys & Girls Club. That’s what he did for a living.”
Campbell-Martin said the joke came about because Thomas Mikal Ford, the actor who played Tommy, used to complain about his character being underdeveloped.
“Tommy was complaining, ‘I don’t think they’re developing my character enough. No one knows what I do for a job; they keep asking me what I do!’ ” she explained. “So then they started putting in the script that Tommy has no job.”
Ford, also known for his recurring role as Mel Parker in the UPN sitcom “The Parkers,” received an NAACP Image Awards nomination in 1996 in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.
The Best On Screen Chemistry...Ever!
1. Alex and Sela in 'Hitch'Source:Facebook Fan Page 1 of 14
2. Sidney and Dre in 'Brown Sugar'Source:Facebook Fan Page 2 of 14
3. Cliff and Claire Huxtable in 'The Cosby Show'Source:Facebook Fan Page 3 of 14
4. Whitley and Dwayne in 'Different World"Source:Facebook Fan Page 4 of 14
5. Jordan and Harper in 'Best Man'Source:Facebook Fan Page 5 of 14
6. Gina and Martin on 'Martin'Source:Facebook Fan Page 6 of 14
7. Laura Winslow and Stephan Urkel on 'Family Matters'Source:Facebook Fan Page 7 of 14
8. Kyle and Max on 'Living Single'Source:Facebook Fan Page 8 of 14
9. Janie Starks and Tea Cake in 'Their Eyes Were Watching God'Source:Facebook Fan Page 9 of 14
10. Mary Jane Paul and Andre Daniels in 'Being Mary Jane'Source:Twitter 10 of 14
11. Dominic and Lauren in 'Think Like A Man'Source:YouTube Screenshot 11 of 14
12. Monica Wright and Quincy McCall in 'Love & Basketball'Source:Twitter 12 of 14
13. Yvette and Jody in 'Baby Boy'Source:YouTube Screenshot 13 of 14
14. Olivia Pope and President Fitzgerald Grant in 'Scandal'Source:YouTube Screenshot 14 of 14
(Photo Source: Youtube)