The Chicago police officer charged in Laquan McDonald’s shooting death was arraigned Tuesday morning, when he pleaded not guilty to the charge, The Chicago Tribune reports.

Jason Van Dyke appeared for the first time before Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan. His lawyer, Dan Herbert, entered a not-guilty plea at the brief hearing.

He was indicted earlier this month on six counts of first-degree murder and one count of official misconduct in McDonald’s fatal shooting.

From The Tribune:

On Dec. 18, Van Dyke’s attorney, Daniel Herbert, told reporters he was considering seeking a change of venue out of Cook County for the officer’s trial. He said “Exhibit A” would be Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s repeated comments about the case and Van Dyke. 

The case has created a firestorm after the release last month of a dash-cam video showing Van Dyke shooting McDonald 16 times within seconds of stepping out of his police car as the black teen moved away from the white officer.

Van Dyke’s lawyer has said the veteran officer feared for his life when he shot McDonald on a Southwest Side street in October 2014.

The hearing comes as the city is on edge after a student and grandmother were shot by police over the weekend while answering a domestic disturbance call.

SOURCE: NewsOneThe Chicago Tribune 

 

Add Your Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

×