PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Nicki Minaj promised to keep boyfriend Meek Mill on the straight and narrow as a judge threatened jail over his latest parole infractions.
Minaj testified Thursday in Philadelphia, after a defense lawyer said the couple was seriously discussing marriage. The 33-year-old Minaj disclosed only that they were living together, but conceded she might have more influence over the rapper than his parole officer.
“She’s not going to be the one sleeping alone if he goes to jail. I am,” Minaj told the judge. “He’s not perfect, but I can’t believe how much he’s changed.”
Prosecutors said the 28-year-old Mill violated parole in a 2009 drug and gun case by repeatedly changing his court-approved travel schedule.
Minaj, who just received three more Grammy nominations, said she would help him stay organized and fulfill his community service requirement.
But Common Pleas Judge Genece Brinkley threatened to send Mill to jail when the hearing resumes Dec. 17, as she did for a few months last year. She said the rapper, whose real name is Robert Williams, submitted a suspicious urine sample.
Mill is expected to testify when the hearing resumes.
Defense lawyer Frank DeSimone called the music business chaotic and said Mill is not trying to disrespect the judge.
“He doesn’t have a lot of structure. He can be irresponsible,” said Minaj, who was sworn in under her birth name, Onika Maraj. “Since I’ve come in his life, I think I’ve been working on that a little bit. … He’s just getting accustomed to being an adult.”
On that, Judge Genece Brinkley seemed to agree.
She has alternately scolded, wrangled and jailed Mill during years of supervision for a 2009 drug and gun case. He was sentenced to about two years in prison, but instead spent a year on house arrest. Brinkley has also ordered him to undergo etiquette, anger management and parenting classes. But she feared the tactics weren’t working.
“He told me last evening how he respects you,” DeSimone said. “He wouldn’t be who he is if you sent him to the state penitentiary in 2009. He wouldn’t be Meek Mill.”
Mill burst onto the scene with his 2012 debut album “Dreams & Nightmares” and recently issued a follow-up, “Dreams Worth More Than Money.”
1. Remy Ma
1 of 36
2. Bobby Shmurda
Source:Bobby Shmurda Instagram
2 of 36
3. Apollo Nida was just sentenced to 8 years in prison for fraud.
3 of 36
4. Darren Sharper is currently on trial for rape in several states.
4 of 36
5. Justin Bieber has had some trouble with the law in the past for marijuana possession, drag racing and a number of other crimes.
5 of 36
6. Ja Rule spent two years in prison for gun possession and tax evasion.
6 of 36
7. Joseline Hernandez has spent some time in jail for prostitution prior to her Love & Hip Hop fame.
7 of 36
8. Nene Leakes was charged with shoplifting in her early 20's.
8 of 36
9. Chris Brown is currently in jail for violating his probation.
9 of 36
10. Lindsay Lohan
10 of 36
11. Wesley Snipes was convicted and spent some time in the big house.
11 of 36
12. Ron Isley spent time in jail for tax evasion.
12 of 36
13. Foxy Brown's numerous probation violations landed her in the slammer for a year (76 days in solitary confinement).(AP)
13 of 36
14. A drunk Shia Labeouf was arrested for trespassing at a Walgreens. The store was closing and he refused to leave. (AP)
14 of 36
15. OJ Simpson
15 of 36
16. 50 Cent was arrested on drug charges and spent 6 months in an incarceration boot camp and earned his GED while there. AP
16 of 36
17. Lil' Wayne served a year at Rikers for illegal gun possession & performed suicide watch with at-risk inmates. (AP)
17 of 36
18. Ozzy Osbourne was arrested for peeing on the Alamo in San Antonio. He bragged about it & got a 20 yr. ban from the city. AP
18 of 36
19. T.I. spent 11 months (the last time) in jail for probation violation. He is on the straight and narrow again. (AP)
19 of 36
20. Martha Stewart was found guilty of insider trading and spent 5 months in federal prison & 2 years of supervised release. AP
20 of 36
21. Gucci Mane has been in jail several times; drug possession, assault and probation violations. (AP)
21 of 36
22. James Brown was sentenced to 6 years in 1988 for not stopping his car in a police chase.
22 of 36
23. Nicole Richie only spent 82 minutes of her four-day sentence in jail for a DUI due to overcrowding in the system. (AP)
23 of 36
24. Boy George got 15 months for chaining a male escort to a wall (without his consent) in his flat during a photo session.
24 of 36
25. Lil’ Kim was at the very peak of her career when she was charged with conspiracy and perjury charges. She got 1 year & 1 day.
25 of 36
26. Michelle Rodriguez has been in & out of jail four times: DUI, hit & run, probation violations, driving without a license.
26 of 36
27. Meek Mill was sentenced to 2-4 years for violating his probation and driving dirt bikes in NYC.
27 of 36
28. Kiefer Sutherland was charged with misdemeanor drunk driving in Los Angeles and spent 48 days in jail. (AP)
28 of 36
29. Robert Downey Jr. spent 4 months in a LA jail and a year in prison for drugs and probation violations. He is doing well now.
29 of 36
30. A hairdresser cashed an unauthorized check and Mystikal gave her a choice; jail or sex (not legal) and he got six years. (AP)
30 of 36
31. Christian Slater was sentenced to three months in jail for assaulting his girlfriend & the man who tried to help her.
31 of 36
32. Actor & comedian Tim Allen spent over two years in prison for cocaine possession (before he found fame). (AP)
32 of 36
33. A drunk Edward Furlong was arrested for “freeing” a tank of lobsters in a Kentucky grocery store. (AP)
33 of 36
34. Michael Vick spent 21 months in jail for financing a dog fighting business. He is out and doing well. Go Mike! (AP)
34 of 36
35. Suge Knight was indicted by a grand jury for threatening death to director F. Gary Gary in August of 2017.(AP)
35 of 36
36. Lauryn Hill served 3 months in prison for not paying federal taxes of $1.8 million from 2005 to 2007. (AP)
36 of 36