Singer/songwriter and three-time Grammy nominee, Raheem DeVaughn, announced that he and his philanthropic initiative, Love Life Foundation, teamed up with Atlantic Records’ Hip-Hop Artist Ty Dolla $ign on Tuesday, September 15, 2015 to surprise and bring a “healthy” message to DC Public School Students at Dunbar High School in NW, DC.
With the help of the Staff at Dunbar High School and Guerilla Arts, both Artists took time out of their busy schedules of promoting their new projects and touring, to talk to DC Public School Students (that are already excelling early in the school year with great grades and perfect attendance), about eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle.
With so much going on in the press lately about how “Black Lives Matter,” the two industry superstars wanted to make sure that they delivered their message directly to the students, in conveying that their lives matter and that it starts with them valuing themselves and living in a healthy way.
In addition to Mr. DeVaughn and Ty Dolla $ign’s appearance, Fox5 TV’s Celebrity Chef from Hell’s Kitchen Season 13 and renowned Chef James “JR” Robinson of the DMV-based Catering Service “KitchenCray,” joined them for a cooking demonstration, tasting and talk about snacking, eating healthy and getting the right nutrition.
Out of his genuine concern for the community, Raheem founded the LoveLife Foundation in April 2014. With an emphasis on education, youth, HIV/AIDS, domestic violence, mental illness, autism, cancer, music, and the arts, this 501(c)(3) non-profit enables him to embrace the causes closest to his heart.
On the heels of releasing his debut album, “Free TC,” Ty Dolla $ign, most notably known for his current hit radio single “Blasé” featuring Future and Rae Sremmurd, Ty recently lost a significant amount of weight, has gained a six pack and has adopted a healthy lifestyle to maintain his physique.
In an effort to share his story and hopefully encourage his fans and peers, Ty opened up about his journey with the students and encouraged them to take care of themselves at an early age to adopt a healthy lifestyle for LIFE.
Singers & Rappers Turned Actors
1. Alicia Keys was smokin' hot in the 2006 movie 'Smokin' Aces' and was also on 'Empire'.Source:AP 1 of 25
2. Jill Scott made her acting debut in the fourth season of 'Girlfriends.'Source:Instagram 2 of 25
3. 50 Cent lost 54 pounds in order to portray his emaciated character in the film 'All Things Fall Apart.'Source:Instagram 3 of 25
4. Snoop Dogg has become an enduring fixture on the big and small screen.4 of 25
5. Mos Def starred in 'Monster’s Ball,' '16 Blocks,' 'The Italian Job,' 'The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Be Kind Rewind' and more.5 of 25
6. LL Cool J has been in several movies and co-stars on the popular television series 'NCIS Los Angeles.'6 of 25
7. T.I. had a supporting role in 'American Gangster and was one of the lead characters in 'Takers.'7 of 25
8. DMX has parlayed his rough, rugged, and raw presence into appearances in several movies.8 of 25
9. Common has been a popular actor in films like 'Smokin' Aces' and "Just Wright.'9 of 25
10. Andre 3000 has made numerous guest appearances on television and he scored the lead role in the Jimi Hendrix biopic.10 of 25
11. Lenny Kravitz is best known for music but has done several movies and is now on the TV show 'Star.'11 of 25
12. Ludacris was in 2 Fast 2 Furious but got rave reviews for 'Crash'.12 of 25
13. Eminem turned to acting in the movie '8 Mile' which was loosely based on his life.13 of 25
14. Whitney sizzled on the silver screen in 'The Bodyguard' and 'The Preacher's Wife.'14 of 25
15. Ice-T found success in 'Law and Order SVU' as Detective Tutuola.15 of 25
16. Beyonce starred in 'Dreamgirls' and alongside Idris Alba in 'Obsessed.'Source:AP 16 of 25
17. We watched Will Smith grow up on 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' and then become a global movie star.Source:AP 17 of 25
18. Jennifer Hudson got an Oscar for 'Dreamgirls' in her very first film role.Source:PR 18 of 25
19. Ice Cube hit it big with his first major motion picture role in 'Boyz n the Hood.'Source:PR 19 of 25
20. Queen Latifah made her acting debut with a role in 'Jungle Fever.'Source:PR 20 of 25
21. Tupac Shakur starred in 'Juice' & 'Poetic Justice.'21 of 25
22. We all remember Drake from the high school TV show 'Degrassi.'22 of 25
23. Bow Wow starred in 'Bounce', 'Lottery Ticket', & 'The Fast & The Furious : Tokyo Drift'23 of 25
24. Method Man had winning roles in HBO's 'The Wire', the films 'How High' & 'Red Tails.'24 of 25
25. Nicki Minaj starred in 'Barber Shop: The Next Cut' as Draya25 of 25
(Photo Source: Raheem Devaughn Instagram)