LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mariah Carey is charting course for a new “Empire” with a guest appearance on the popular Fox television series, the show’s creator announced Wednesday.
“Empire” creator Lee Daniels announced the Grammy winner would appear on his show while introducing Carey at a ceremony where she received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
“Watch her on ‘Empire’ you guys. She’s coming on ‘Empire,’ ” Daniels said to loud cheers from fans.
The Oscar-nominated director didn’t elaborate on what role Carey would play, or how she might interact with the show’s diva, Cookie Lyon.
Neither Fox nor Carey elaborated on Daniels’ announcement, but the network is scheduled to present its plans for “Empire” and other upcoming shows at a Television Critics Association panel on Thursday.
Carey, 45, has appeared in the films “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” and “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire,” which earned Daniels two Academy Award nominations.
She has won five Grammy Awards since releasing her debut album in 1990. She also served as a judge on Fox’s “American Idol” competition series for one season.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Singers & Rappers Turned Actors
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Alicia Keys was smokin' hot in the 2006 movie 'Smokin' Aces' and was also on 'Empire'.
1 of 25
2. Jill Scott made her acting debut in the fourth season of 'Girlfriends.'
2 of 25
3. 50 Cent lost 54 pounds in order to portray his emaciated character in the film 'All Things Fall Apart.'
3 of 25
4. Snoop Dogg has become an enduring fixture on the big and small screen.
4 of 25
5. Mos Def starred in 'Monster’s Ball,' '16 Blocks,' 'The Italian Job,' 'The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Be Kind Rewind' and more.
5 of 25
6. LL Cool J has been in several movies and co-stars on the popular television series 'NCIS Los Angeles.'
6 of 25
7. T.I. had a supporting role in 'American Gangster and was one of the lead characters in 'Takers.'
7 of 25
8. DMX has parlayed his rough, rugged, and raw presence into appearances in several movies.
8 of 25
9. Common has been a popular actor in films like 'Smokin' Aces' and "Just Wright.'
9 of 25
10. Andre 3000 has made numerous guest appearances on television and he scored the lead role in the Jimi Hendrix biopic.
10 of 25
11. Lenny Kravitz is best known for music but has done several movies and is now on the TV show 'Star.'
11 of 25
12. Ludacris was in 2 Fast 2 Furious but got rave reviews for 'Crash'.
12 of 25
13. Eminem turned to acting in the movie '8 Mile' which was loosely based on his life.
13 of 25
14. Whitney sizzled on the silver screen in 'The Bodyguard' and 'The Preacher's Wife.'
14 of 25
15. Ice-T found success in 'Law and Order SVU' as Detective Tutuola.
15 of 25
16. Beyonce starred in 'Dreamgirls' and alongside Idris Alba in 'Obsessed.'
16 of 25
17. We watched Will Smith grow up on 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air' and then become a global movie star.
17 of 25
18. Jennifer Hudson got an Oscar for 'Dreamgirls' in her very first film role.
18 of 25
19. Ice Cube hit it big with his first major motion picture role in 'Boyz n the Hood.'
19 of 25
20. Queen Latifah made her acting debut with a role in 'Jungle Fever.'
20 of 25
21. Tupac Shakur starred in 'Juice' & 'Poetic Justice.'
21 of 25
22. We all remember Drake from the high school TV show 'Degrassi.'
22 of 25
23. Bow Wow starred in 'Bounce', 'Lottery Ticket', & 'The Fast & The Furious : Tokyo Drift'
23 of 25
24. Method Man had winning roles in HBO's 'The Wire', the films 'How High' & 'Red Tails.'
24 of 25
25. Nicki Minaj starred in 'Barber Shop: The Next Cut' as Draya
25 of 25