A revealing handwritten letter from President Barack Obama to his half-brother, Malik Abongo “Roy” Obama has been sold.

According to Page Six, the letter — written in July 1995, before Obama’s political career began, and sold by Malik — details the commander-in-chief’s reason for stepping into the world of politics. Among those reasons is the desire to “deal with some serious issues blacks face here.”

“Some colleagues of mine here have talked me into running for the Illinois State Senate (like being an MP for a province),” Obama wrote. “I have agreed, since I have an interest in politics to deal with some serious ­issues blacks face here.”

Although he is interested in entering the political arena, in the letter, Obama admitted he didn’t like meetings as well as an intent to be a part-time politician.

“Of course, it involves a lot of campaigning, going to meetings and so on, which I don’t find so attractive,” he said. “Anyway, if I win it will only be a part-time post, and I will ­continue my work as a lawyer.”

Prior to a collector buying the letter for an undisclosed amount, it was offered to various parties, including the Los Angeles-based memorabilia dealer Moments in Time, Page Six notes, adding that Malik sold it “as a package with a copy of a manuscript of Obama’s memoir, Dreams From My Father, with handwritten notes.

In the letter, Obama goes on to give Malik an update on future First Lady Michelle Obama and his  mother, who died later that year.

“Michelle is fine, also busy with her work,” Obama wrote. “My mom’s health has been stabilized for now, but she is by no means cured and continues to undergo extensive treatment.”

Ending the letter with, “Much love — Barack,” Obama didn’t sign off without weighing in on news that his brother has “found a new wife.”

“Man, I must say you don’t fool around!” he told Malik.

The letter from Obama is the latest handwritten note sold by Malik, who let go of two other handwritten letters from his half-brother for nearly $15,000 each in 2013.

Although they share the same father and were best men at each other’s weddings, Malik’s relationship with Obama has apparently soured, according to Page Six. Earlier this year, Malik called the president a “schemer,” saying, “He’s not been an honest man . . . in who he is and what he says and how he treats people.”

Click over for Barack Obama’s handwritten letter to Malik Obama.

1 2Next page »

31 thoughts on “Barack Obama’s Brother Sells Letter That Reveals Race Motivated Obama’s Political Career

1. There were indeed serious issues facing the black community in those days, especially crack, HIV/AIDS, and terrible violence over drug turf. I worked for the NC state Department of Health with the HIV/STD Control Branch during the early 90s, and spent most of my days looking for people with HIV and/or syphilis on the streets and in crackhouses, jails, prisons…so I could interview them about their sex partners and drive them to the clinic for testing and/or treatment. The music of Snoop Dogg and the film “New Jack City” reflected the mood of those times….so our President was trying to make a difference. I wish more people would do that.

2. WillowFan on said:

I didn’t hear anything in the letter that’s a problem. So I will have to say, so what…..the only thing news worthy, is that our Pres has a loser brother, it happens.

3. pac4me on said:

The POTUS is a class act. I hope that he does NOT give any dignity to his brother by even addressing his sell-out. Who of us has been totally honest about anything that we express that might be perceived by others in some other way that what we intended.

4. James Jalloh on said:

It a shame how we treat people that has our best interest @ heart like crap. This is exactly what this guy did to his Brother.
    In my opinion, it boils down to two reasons: money and jealousy.

May he find peace and solace.

5. Joy2 on said:

I don’t put much credence in his brother’s comment that he’s not been a honest man. Does anyone know a totally ‘honest’ politician?? I think not. Also, as human beings I don’t think very many of us are (ALWAYS) totally authentic in what we believe.

6. NO hair hats !!!!! on said:

Yep, you are right. Blacks will turn on each other in a the blink of an eye for money or to win brownie points with an opposite race.

7. Timekeeeper on said:

First of all, what’s the big deal? Obama has concerns about how blacks are treated, Don’t We All! Whoever bought that letter for a stupid amount of money wasted it.
    I see nothing wrong with Obama stating what I have always known to be true.

• specialt757 on said:

You’re right TK, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he wrote, Cain (thank you Cam, couldn’t remember how to spell it), is so jealous and desperate/hard-up and let’s not forget a NOBODY, he will do anything for attention and money. I didn’t even know this clown existed.

• Joy2 on said:

EBB: “what some people will do for money”…..I think the article saids he sold a couple of letter for $15,000 each. The thing is $15,000 isn’t even that much $$$

8. Ms Curly on said:

I glad he didn’t sell it before the election to someone like Donald Trump! With a brother like him who needs cousins.

9. In 1995 phones were pretty much everywhere so the letter writing sounds suspect….The tone of the letter also sounds phony.

I’ll pray for his “brother”. I hope he finds whatever peace he is looking for. No amount of money can make this man happy. I don’t care what your relationship with a family member is unless it involves a horrible crime I don’t see how you can “blast” them and spread lies on the internet. Smh

• Joy2 on said:

@Cud: Duuuuuuuh I don’t know how old you are; but there was a time when letter writing was an art form…..even in 1995. 20 years ago people didn’t use cell phones nearly as much as they do now.

10. Peggy Farrar on said:

Money is the root of evil. I get tired and sick of black people selling their own family information to the highest bidder, so sad.

11. Jurzee butterfly on said:

Dude is messy for real. Airing personal family business for financial gain has got to be the lowest of the low. Sibling rivalry is no reason to bring your blood down. Regardless of what is going on with your brother you should still love and respect him no matter what. The money gets spent but he’s always going to be your brother. Check out “the man in the mirror” (or woman) before acting at all times.