Though they appear to be rather similar, bananas and plantains are most definitely NOT the same! Plantains not only are much larger than bananas, they are sweeter and have two bananas worth of potassium in just one. Why not try adding this nutrient rich treat to your next smoothie or meal as a banana substitute? Here are a few recipes you can try below:
Plantain Almond Smoothie
- 1 ripe plantain
- 30 de-skinned or blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups Chilled skim or whole milk
- If using skinned almonds, soak the almonds in warm water for 30 minutes. Peel off the skin from the almonds or use blanched almonds.
- Cut the plantain vertically and remove the black seeds in it using a sharp knife.
- Slice the plantain.
- In a blender, combine the plantain, almonds and milk, grind to a smoothie.
- Pour into a tall glass. If needed, add ice cubes.
- Ripe plantain are sweeter, and therefore will keep you from needing to use sugar. If you would like your smoothie to be sweeter try adding honey or agave nectar as a sugar alternative.